Eczema Around The Eyes
According to the National Eczema Association, different types of eczema affect 31.6 million Americans.
Eczema is an itchy skin condition that can show up anywhere on the body, from wrists, back of knees, hands, and on the face, on the eyelids, eyebrows, and even eyelashes.
Eczema around the eyes, also known as atopic dermatitis is frequently observed in children. However, the condition can continue into adulthood. It is also chronic, meaning it usually recurs after some time.
People with the condition experience periods when their symptoms flare and at other times when they clear up. Eczema is not a curable condition and most of the treatments will concentrate on alleviating symptoms and healing damaged skins.
Eczema can cause a variety of conditions when it occurs around the eyes, including:
- Inflamed eyelids The eyelid itself and its lining may become inflamed resulting in burning, itching, watery eyes, and in some cases, mucous discharge.
- Darkening of the skin around the eyes The skin on the eyelids may darken. If you scratch around the eyes due to the itch, the skin may become swollen and red.
- Deformed cornea Rubbing the eyes in an attempt to cure extreme itching around the eyes may eventually deform the cornea.
Eye eczema may flare up due to irritation or allergies. Irritating substances may include soaps and detergents, chemicals such as chlorine in swimming pools, and cosmetics such as nail polish, eyeliners, mascara, and eye shadows.
Colleen Rothschild Beauty Sheer Renewal Cream 24 Ounce
Your dry skin would cause breakouts. With this cream, your skin appears clearer and more refreshed. The cream goes on so smoothly and doesnt make your face feel greasy when you apply makeup. In the morning, you can also add it to sunscreen to make it less tacky.
- In addition to providing continuous weightless hydration, Sheer Renewal Cream encourages new cell turnover to help minimize wrinkles and lines.
- A light breathable barrier provides broad environmental protection thanks to its powder finish.
- COLLEEN ROTHSCHILD SKINCARE consists of Level E3, an exclusive technology that enables key ingredients to work harder and smarter.
Highly suitable for mature skin
Excellant moisturizing cream with a lovely scent
eaves skin feeling hydrated
works great under makeup or sunscreen
skin feels great and smooth
5: OCuSOFT Hypochlor Hypochlorous Acid Solution Spray 0.02% 59 Milliters, Eyelid Spray for Irritated Eyelids
- OcuSOFT HypoChlor is a top-rated cleansing product for eyelids and eyelashes! which is highly recommended by doctors.
- Combining it with a surfactant to remove oil and debris can relieve severe eyelid discomfort. Healing wounds are made easier by the soothing and moisturizing effect of the gel.
- Microorganisms are removed from the eyelids, eyelashes, and minor skin irritations are effectively treated immediately
La Prairie Skin Caviar Eye Lift Serum
This is a rich formula in more ways than one. It contains caviar beads in one tube and a special emulation cream in the other, which includes caviar. The benefits of this product include lifting and firming the skin around the eyes, redefining the eyebrows, and smoothing under-eye bags and puffiness. This is a very expensive serum.
- The Reviewers Say: The eye cream reviews for this product were excellent. Generally, those that could afford it did find it to be worth the cost. However, many users found it out of their price range.
- Price: $485
Container Type: Bottle, Jar, Tube | Features: Lifting and Firming Eye Serum | Skin Type: For All Skin Types, For Dry Skin | Size: 0.6 fl oz | Form: Serum | Brand: La Prairie
Read Also: Does Zyrtec Help With Eczema
What Kind Of Eczema Do You Have
There are three main kinds of eyelid eczema.
- Atopic Contact Dermatitis Symptoms of this kind of eczema include red, itchy and often scaly skin. ACD is triggered by an exposure to a topical allergen . Common triggers are makeup as well as animal dander from pets. If you think your eczema might be caused by an eternal allergen, arrange a patch test with your doctor.
- Irritant Contact Dermatitis This kind of eczema is triggered by contact with chemicals, solvents and adhesives . The symptoms are the same as Atopic Contact Dermatitis but keep out an eye out for harsh chemicals in products you use on your skin.
- Atopic Dermatitis Atopic Dermatitis is the result of an internal reactions, usually to food, but also things like hormone imbalance and stress.
What Does Eczema On The Eyelids Look Like
Do you have an irresistible urge to scratch your eyes? It could be eczema.
If your eyelids are red, swollen, at times oozing, and extremely itchy, then you have acute eczema. Sometimes the skin is simply dry and slightly red, but still itchy.
Eczema or allergic conjunctivitis?
It can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between eczema and allergic conjunctivitis: in the latter case, eyelids may be a bit swollen and itchy, but the eye is red.
Eczema or psoriasis? Eczema patches are often thinner and their edges less defined compared to psoriasis. Click here for a summary of the major differences between eczema and psoriasis.
Also Check: Over The Counter Treatment For Eyelid Eczema
Types Of Eczema That Affect Your Eyes
Here are the types of eczema most likely to appear near your eyes:
- Atopic eczema. The most common type of eczema. Eyelids are particularly prone to it, but atopic eczema can appear literally anywhere.
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis. This forms on your eyelids, making them red or discolored, and inflamed. Its a recurring condition and often gets confused with conjunctivitis.
- Contact eczema. Also called contact dermatitis, this is a reaction to an irritant or allergen touching your skin.
Many types of eczema can form around your eyes. Youll sometimes hear them referred to as eyelid dermatitis, although eyelids arent your only eye-adjacent face spaces at risk.
We break down what types of eczema can affect your eyelids and the types of treatments that may work for you.
When discussing eczema around your eyes, there are three noteworthy types of eczema:
- atopic eczema
- seborrhoeic dermatitis
- contact eczema
Doctors sometimes refer to all three as eyelid dermatitis .
Home Remedies For Eczema Near Your Eyes
There are plenty of home remedies that can treat eczema around your eyes and take the edge off uncomfortable symptoms.
- Apply a cold compress to your eyes.
- Put some Vaseline on it.
- Aquaphor can help.
- Use an unscented moisturizer or cream.
- Install a humidifier in dry areas, and central heating or air conditioning to keep your environment temperate.
- Apply an unscented gentle cleanser to wash your face.
Managing eczema at home
If youre prone to eczema flare-ups, there are steps you can take to manage this and reduce the risk.
- Wash your hands before touching your eyes and face. You should try to do this anyway.
- Keep your fingernails short so they cant scratch your face when you itch.
- Avoid makeup and other irritants or triggers.
- Try and manage your stress levels. Easier said than done, but stress is a key catalyst for eczema flare-ups.
Don’t Miss: Can A Dermatologist Help With Eczema
Best Hydrating Eye Cream
Considering the under-eye area produces less oil than other parts of the face , everyone can benefit from a hydrating under-eye cream regardless of age and skin type. Hydration is the key to protecting the skins natural protective barrier while imparting a healthy, youthful glow.
CeraVe Eye Repair Cream, $11This popular eye cream is chock-full of ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide, all of which work to restore and maintain the skins natural protective barrier while softening the appearance of under-eye wrinkles. CeraVe developed an MVE Delivery Technology to deliver ceramides to the skin in a time-release manner for a continuous rather than burst effect.
The formula is fragrance-free, non-comedogenic, and contains nourishing ingredients suitable for sensitive skin.
Eye Eczema Is Typically A Form Of Contact Eczema Usually Triggered By Contact Allergies To Cosmetics As Well As Sun Creams Contact Lens Solutions And Other Anti
Eye eczema or dermatitis is a skin condition that’s on the rise among middle-aged women who have spent typically two decades applying eye cosmetics daily until eventually their skin developed an intolerance to cosmetics.
Cortisone and steroid creams are not suitable for use on skin around the eye area as the skin there is too delicate and the steroids are too harsh. So eye eczema treatment for this very common form of eczema are limited as non-steroid emollient creams used for body eczema are too heavy for
the delicate eye area.
Elaine Wright, 51, is a married civil servant from Castleford in West Yorkshire who eventually found a solution for her eye eczema in Hydrosil Dry Eye Gel, a light quickly absorbent gel containing a vine extract of cardiospermum, commonly known as a ‘phytosteroid’ that can quickly relieve itchy, inflamed and irritated skin and is an effective natural eye eczema treatment.
Phytosteroids perform similar functions to chemical steroids but are naturally sourced from plants and can be used daily as opposed to only for limited periods of time. They can also be used on more delicate areas of skin as they are not as damaging are chemical steroids.
Ive never had eczema even as a child, but a year and half ago I started to develop itchy eyelids. It started off as a mild irritation but over a few months developed into a constant excruciating itch that left my upper eyelids and the lower eye lid of the left eye red raw, swollen and very dry.
Don’t Miss: Manuka Honey Rescue Cream Eye Eczema
What Do Eyelid Eczema Symptoms Look And Feel Like
People with eczema generally experience symptoms like very dry and itchy skin red, brown, or gray skin patches raised, weeping bumps and thick, cracked, or scaly skin. They may also have raw, sensitive, swollen skin due to scratching-induced irritation.
For eyelid eczema specifically, you may experience inflamed or reddened skin on and around your eyelid, or cracked, discolored skin in the general area, board-certified dermatologist Ife J. Rodney, M.D., founding director of Eternal Dermatology + Aesthetics and professor of dermatology at Howard University and George Washington University, tells SELF. The affected area can also sting and burn.
When Should I Go To The Emergency Department
Go to the emergency department right away if your eyelids swell up so much that you cant see. Unrelated to dermatitis, you should go to the emergency department if you have:
- Trouble breathing/shortness of breath, or if you stopped breathing for any reason.
- Severe chest pain or pressure.
- Any pain that is so severe that you cant stand it.
- Injury to your head, neck or spine.
- Loss of consciousness .
- Sudden weakness, especially if you cant speak or move.
- Dizziness that doesnt stop.
- Coughing or throwing up blood.
- Heavy bleeding.
- High fever that doesnt get better with medicine.
- Severe burn, electric shock or lightning strike.
- Stroke symptoms slurred speech, numbness, weakness, loss of balance and/or vision problems.
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Although eyelid dermatitis wont stop you from going about your daily activities, it is a nuisance. It can cause itching and sometimes pain, so its important to get checked out by a healthcare provider as soon as possible to keep the symptoms from getting severe. Try your best with the help of the people around you to figure out what may have caused the dermatitis. If you can figure that out and avoid the trigger, then you can prevent future flares. Around 15% to 20% of people experience contact dermatitis at some point in their lives, so know that youre not alone.
Last reviewed by a Cleveland Clinic medical professional on 10/25/2021.
Recommended Reading: Triple Cream Severe Dry Skin Eczema Care
Best Drugstore Eye Cream
While not all drugstore eye creams are complete bargain busters these days, many are priced at a more tangible price than department store brands. As with the affordable eye cream category, its not so much about the price as it is the quality and efficacy of the product.
RoC Retinol Correxion Anti-Aging Eye Cream, $17For under $20, this popular dermatologist-recommended drugstore eye cream addresses every under-eye concern including, fine lines, wrinkles, crows feet, puffiness, dark circles, and uneven texture. Slow, time-released retinol provides all of these incredible anti-aging benefits minus the irritation.
Even so, if youre new to retinol, start by using the cream a couple of times a week and only at night since this active ingredient can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
Love a good drugstore find? Us, too. Check out the rest of our favorite drugstore eye creams.
Types Of Eczema On Eyelids And Around Eyes
The terms eczema and dermatitis are often used interchangeably to describe dry, itchy skin. Technically, eczema refers to atopic dermatitis, a common form of dermatitis.
The inflammation associated with dermatitis can affect any area of skin, including the eyelids and skin surrounding the eyes.
It occurs more often in the eye area in individuals who already have it on other parts of the body. Some of the common types of dermatitis affecting the eye area include atopic, contact, and seborrheic.
Recommended Reading: Does Ibuprofen Help With Eczema
Eye Cream: The Bottom Line
While its impossible to choose just one cream to be deemed as the best, at the Derm Review, the best means a product thats formulated with a mix of safe synthetics and evidence ingredients and is void of harmful chemicals.
A revolutionary treatment that uses highly effective botanical extracts to reduce signs of stress and fatigue, including eye bags and dark circles.
When shopping for an eye cream, consider your skin type, under-eye concerns, age, and the climate where you live or are traveling to. Remember, being more expensive doesnt necessarily mean better. Its the quality and strength of ingredients that truly matters.
Whats the best eye cream, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments below!
THIS SITE IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR ADVICE OR TREATMENT FROM A QUALIFIED MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.
THE OWNER OF THEDERMREVIEW.COM HAS MATERIAL BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS WITH DEEP SCIENCE, CARROT & STICK & FORMULYST, WHOSE PRODUCTS WE ALSO REVIEW AND RANK. THOSE RELATIONSHIPS MAY AFFECT HOW WE REVIEW AND RANK PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MENTIONED ON THE SITE. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DETAILS OF THESE RELATIONSHIPS AND HOW PRODUCTS ARE RANKED ON OUR SITE, PLEASE READ THE “FULL DISCLOSURE” AND “METHODOLOGY” SECTIONS.
Eczema Around The Eye
When eczema occurs on the face, it often affects the skin around the eyes or eyelids . Eczema that develops near the eyes needs special attention because the eyes themselves can be affected.
You May Like: What To Use For Eczema Around Eyes
Also Check: Can You Grow Out Of Eczema
Can Eczema Cause Blindness
Eczema cant directly cause blindness. However, having eczema around your eyes increases your risk of eye conditions which can lead to blindness.
This risk increases the longer your eye eczema is left untreated. If youre experiencing an eczema flare-up around your eyes and start having vision problems you should consult your doctor ASAP.
Tru Alchemy Eye Elixir
Tru Alchemy Eye Elixir is a hydrating eye serum which can eliminate puffiness under the eyes, firm the skin, and smooth wrinkles and fine lines while delivering a cooling sensation. This serum uses light-diffusing technology to get rid of dark circles and blur the appearance of wrinkles and lines. Tru Alchemy Eye Elixir promises to deliver results instantly.
- The Reviewers Say: Users said this was an effective serum which delivered results fast and had a nice scent.
- Price: $35 one-time purchase
Container Type: Tube | Features: Light-Diffusing Technology | Skin Type: For All Skin Types | Size: 0.5 fl oz./14ml | Form: Serum | Brand: Tru Alchemy
Also Check: Is Yogurt Good For Eczema
Whats The Best Eyelid Eczema Treatment
If you do have eczema on your eyelids, youll want to do your best to avoid your triggers. This can range from pretty easy to completely ludicrous, depending on what specifically incites your eczema. If you cant steer clear of your triggers, or if doing so isnt enough to calm your eyelid eczema, you may need some extra help from a pro.
This is one of the hardest forms of eczema to treat with medication because of the sensitive area we are treating, Dr. Rodney says. We have to make sure your eyemeaning your eyeballis safe, as some prescriptions can lead to complications like glaucoma.
To treat any form of eczema, experts will often recommend topical corticosteroids to battle inflammation, the Mayo Clinic says, but these can be too strong on your delicate eyelid skin. If your doctor decides a corticosteroid cream is the best treatment for your case of eczema, theyll likely only prescribe it for a short period of time because it can cause thinning of your eyelids and the skin around your eyes, Cynthia Bailey, M.D., a diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and president and CEO of Advanced Skin Care and Dermatology Inc., tells SELF. This treatment needs to be supervised by a physician, Dr. Bailey says.
Dr. Rodney also suggests placing a thin layer of petroleum jelly around and on your eyelids twice a day to reinforce the protective skin barrier, hydrate the dry skin, and reduce itching.