Remember There Have Been Great Advances In The Treatment Of This Disease To Help You Win The Battle Against Eczema
- I have had a dermatologist of my own since my first case of acne and now that botox is all the rage, I continue to keep up our close relationship. Somehow, however, I was very slow to grasp the value of a professional’s help in dealing with my kids’ skin problems. Now, if I leave you with only one message, it’s to see your pediatrician, a dermatologist or an allergist as soon as you suspect eczema. It could change your life, and your child’s.
Vicki Iovine began her writing career after the birth of her fourth child in six years with the publication of The Girlfriends’ Guide to Pregnancy. This book struck a chord among women who found maternity an altered state, and Vicki soon became a regular contributor on such shows as “The Today Show,””Oprah,” and “The View.” She has since published The Girlfriends’ Guide to Pregnancy Daily Diary The Girlfriends’ Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood The Girlfriends’ Guide to Toddlers and The Girlfriends’ Guide to Getting Your Groove Back. Vicki has also been an advice columnist for Child magazine for five years. And with nearly 20 years of marriage under her belt, she regularly contributes articles to Redbook as the “Marriage Advisor” on the mysteries of the man/woman thing. Most recently, Vicki has sold a feature film screenplay to Twentieth Century Fox.
Other Baby Bamboo Brands
There are tons of new children bamboo brands popping up every month. I havent tried these brands yet so I cant really say how there are as far as quality, how they wash, how they feel, price point, any sales, etc.
Make sure to look a the product details because not all products the vendors sell are bamboo.
We Moisturize And Apply Ointments As Soon As We Take Our Toddler Out Of The Bath
The minute we take him out, we moisturize him and apply steroid creams as needed. The best time to apply ointments is right after the bath because the skin is freshest and it can absorb any medicine best.
We also never apply moisturizer on top of any prescribed steroid ointments at night.
We used to apply his steroid ointments, then allow 10-30 minutes to pass, then moisturize his entire body. Apparently that will dilute the steroid cream and spread it to parts of his skin that do not need it.
In the past, we have also tried to apply moisturizer first, then wait 10-30 minutes before applying any steroid ointments. Apparently, that will cause his skin not to absorb the steroid ointment properly.
So the best bet is to apply the any steroid ointments first, then apply moisturizer to the parts of the skin that do not have any steroid ointment applied. That means we sometimes need to carefully apply moisturizer with our fingers, rather than just slathering it all over him.
You May Like: Best Cream For Extreme Eczema
Morning Eczema Skin Care Routine For Bad Days
On days where there his skin has many eczema patches, we leave an hour between applying the prescription ointments and his moisturizer. The hour gap reduces the risk of affecting the efficacy of the prescription ointments.
On these mornings, timing can be tight as we have nursery and work to get to. We will bring the moisturizer to his nursery and apply it there right before drop-off, or ask one of the nursery staff to help us apply it.
Accepted By The National Eczema Association
Awarded the Seal of Acceptance by The National Eczema Association. Our Baby Pajamas have been given highest skin-friendly rating of 5 stars.
OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100: Wear our textiles with confidence, knowing that our yarn contains no trace chemicals that pose health threats.
Baby2Baby provides children living in poverty, ages 0-12 years, with diapers, baby clothes, kids clothing and all the basic necessities that every child deserves.
We are excited to announce through your purchases of our Koala Collection, we have been able to donate $3,000.00 to WIRES. Thank you to those who helped in supporting this cause.
Nominated as the “Best New Brand” Bellabu Bear is a Rising Star.
Don’t Miss: Best Laundry Detergent For Babies With Eczema
Pjs Designed For Your Childs Eczema
Finding comfortable pyjamas for an eczema child can be tricky. Not only do you need to find a set of PJs that doesnt irritate their eczema, you also need to persuade your child to wear them. Which is why we have thought long and hard about our PJ designs and asked lots of little people what makes for the best eczema PJs and kids mittens.
- Cool, loose fitting 100% cotton fabric with our signature natural silk mitts
- A choice of PJ designs to suit your childs pattern of eczema
- No external seams on the mitts and sleeves as these could be used to scratch or rub at itchy eczema
- Enclosed feet with woven cotton panels to reinforce the toes and ankles. These minimise the damage done by toe-scratching and ankle rubbing
- Our regular PJ bottoms are cleverly designed with no inside leg seam at all and we use flat or enclosed seams everywhere else
- Got a little escapologist? Our dungaree style PJ bottoms and mittens for kids are designed to be super comfortable but the buttoned back opening makes them very tricky to remove without help
- No itchy internal labels all our labels are external and dont have hard edges. Weve minimised their size too.
Choosing The Best Pj Combination
As eczema can affect different parts of the body at different ages we have two different styles of PJ top and bottoms available so you can pick and mix to get the best sleepwear solution for your eczema child.
- Eczema typically affects the faces of babies and toddlers, so our smaller, striped PJs have envelope style necklines which stretch easily over sore cheeks and ears without the need for fiddly and potentially irritating poppers and buttons
- As children get older, facial eczema tends to heal but eczema on arms and legs often gets worse. Our SuperHero PJs are designed to appeal to older kids and use a round neckline with baseball style sleeves for easy movement and extra comfort under the arms. The shoulder and neck seams of the SuperHero PJs are external, keeping the inside of our PJ tops as smooth as possible. And they come with a complimentary cape. Perfect for your little hero
- Some children really struggle with itchy bellies and bottoms and so dont get on with regular, elasticated PJ bottoms. Our dungarees are loose fitting over the tummy so dont irritate in the way that an elastic waistband would and they limit access the midriff as well.
See how the ScratchSleeves PJs are designed to both stop little ones scratching themselves with fingers and minimise the irritation from seams and labels.
Help skin heal with ScratchSleeves, the Scratch Mitts that really do work!
Recommended Reading: Athlete’s Foot Or Eczema
Childrens Pyjamas With Unique Technology Previously Only Available On Prescription
HappySkin® childrens pyjamas, like all our clothing, include unique Dreamskin® technology. This is bonded to the fabrics surface to form an invisible protective layer.
Dreamskin® regulates your childs temperature, and also protects their sensitive skin against irritants commonly found in laundry detergents.
Should Pajamas And Clothes Be Breathable
Clothes and pajamas should be breathable to allow the air to ventilate through the clothes and into the skin. If the air doesnt ventilate, moisture will become trapped and lead to other issues such as fungal infections on skin. Cotton is the best material for this. Also, cotton also has another feature of absorbing sweat quickly away from the skin.
Also Check: How To Take Care Of Baby Eczema
The Basics What Is Eczema
Eczema, also called atopic dermatitis, is a chronic condition that makes skin dry, red, and itchy. A child with eczema may break out in a rash, as is common when dealing with allergies. Eczema primarily affects kids, but some children may actually outgrow eczema as they age.
Although most cases of dry skin and peeling in a newborn are normal, there are certain conditions, like eczema, that cause persistent dryness and extreme peeling. If your baby develops these symptoms, see your pediatrician. Eczema does have a strong genetic component however, it does not necessarily have to run in your family for your baby to be prone to eczema. Additionally, there are certain detergents, foods, and other products that can cause eczema to flare up.
Keep Your Baby Comfortable All Night With Eczema Pajamas
These special pajamas are designed for babies and toddlers with eczema-prone skin and deliver soothing moisture to your little ones skin while they sleep. And with outside seams and tags, theres nothing to irritate your child during the night. Finally, these pajamas also feature adjustable snap closures that allow them to grow with your baby and keep their skin protected for months to come.
Recommended Reading: Best Eczema Products For Face
Best Bamboo Baby Clothing Brands
I suggest buying one piece from a brand and seeing how it fits your baby and what you think of the quality. I wouldnt buy a ton in one brand at once. I buy from several brands because they all make such different prints and I take advantage of the sales when they have them. Again bamboo baby clothes are not cheap BUT there are sales throughout the year at brands and boutiques that I take advantage of and size up.
Check In With Your Child’s Doctor At The Onset Of A Flare
- Tell your doctor if you suspect a skin infection. There is a heightened risk to eczema sufferers of contracting a bacterial or viral infection such as fever blisters/cold sores from other kids, as well as warts and a condition my older daughter got called molluscum, which is like patches of tiny blisters. The doctor might prescribe antibacterial or antiviral drugs at this time.
- Discuss whether you’ve noticed any other sensitivities or allergic-type symptoms in your child. Two of my four also had terrible hay fever and one had asthma.
- Tell your doctor if your child’s sleep is seriously disrupted by the itching of a flare-up. They may recommend an antihistamine that has a drowsy effect.
Also Check: Vitamin E Oil For Eczema
Make Sure Your Babys Clothes Dont Contain Chemicals Or Dyes
Most modern clothing has chemicals woven into the fabric to prevent bacteria build up. While the lack of bacteria is certainly good for your baby, the chemicals themselves can cause problems for eczema-prone skin.
Even clothes without those chemicals added can still lead to eczema flare-ups. Thats because the dyes used to color the fabric can become an irritant against sensitive skin.
When purchasing eczema-safe clothes, be sure to read the label and always choose fabrics without added chemicals. And to avoid the dye issue, white cotton is your babys best friend.
Sometimes, though, manufacturers dont list everything in their clothing . So to protect against these potential allergens, add a layer of emollient cream or balm to prevent eczema flare-ups.
Clothing Containing Harmful Chemicals
Its always a good idea to look for products that are free of harmful chemicals like flame retardants, phthalates and lead. These chemicals are commonly found in childrens products, but they should be avoided when possible – they are known to irritate sensitive skin among other things.
Although there are US regulations to prevent overexposure to these chemicals, I always recommend looking for companies who make it a point to say that their products are flame retardant, lead, and phthalate free. Heres why…
Flame retardants have been used for years, especially in childrens sleepwear, as a way to make fabrics flame resistant and protect children against burns. However, the use of these chemicals is a big deal because research has shown that they may be detrimental to kids . If thats not enough, flame retardant clothing has also been linked to skin irritations, so clothing covered in flame retardants is not ideal for an eczema-prone child, or any child for that matter.
Phthalates are chemical plasticizers that have been widely used since the 1950s to soften plastics that would otherwise be brittle and crack when bent. Theyre found in tons of household products from cosmetics and personal care products to wood finishes, detergents, adhesives, and plastic plumbing pipes. Theyre also found in many childrens toys.
Don’t Miss: Can I Use Psoriasis Cream For Eczema
Wear Some Shirts And Pajamas Inside
If youre having a hard time finding just the right eczema clothing for your baby or young child, try letting them wear shirts and pajamas inside-out. By turning your babys clothes inside-out, you move the thick seams and itchy tags away from their sensitive skin.
This can be a great solution in a pinch when all your babys eczema clothes and eczema pajamas are dirty. Just grab any soft cotton, dye-free, chemical-free shirt or pair of pajamas, turn them inside out, and your baby is covered until you can get their regular clothes clean and ready to wear.
Also, be on the lookout for pajamas with zippers. The seams on either side, not to mention the zippers themselves, can irritate your babys skin and cause an eczema flare-up. Whether you wear them inside-out or not, a quick solution for this problem is to apply a layer of emollient cream or balm on the skin underneath and around the zipper. This will prevent an allergic reaction while your baby sleeps.
Wash Your Babys Clothes Before Dressing Them
Despite your best efforts, youll never get rid of all the dust in your house. Unfortunately, that dust can act as a trigger for your babys eczema. The stuff floating in the air isnt a problem, but when it accumulates on surfaces, it can become an issue.
This is especially true of clothes that have sat unworn for several days. Dust can find its way between the fibers of your babys clothes. When it comes in contact with eczema-prone skin, it can cause a flare-up.
To prevent this, wash your babys clothes before getting them dressed. A quick rinse is really all thats necessary, but be sure to dry the clothes thoroughly in the dryer. Then let them cool so the heat doesnt irritate your babys eczema-prone skin.
Recommended Reading: Skincare For Eczema And Acne
Purchase The Dreamskin Range
You can find the full Dreamskin range here, or check out our favourites below.
2-pack Dreamskin Pure Cotton Farmyard Bodysuits, $23.50
2-pack Dreamskin Pure Cotton Farmyard Sleepsuits, $30
Dreamskin Pure Cotton Fitted Sheet, $49
5-pack of Dreamskin Pure Cotton Rich Ankle Socks, $21
Images: Marks & Spencer
Encourage Your Child To Educate Teachers And Classmates About Eczema
- This is not something to be suffered in silence. Teaching others more about this condition empowers your child and informs others.
- Many classes have a special time each week for kids to share feelings and resolve conflicts. This would be a safe and protected time for your child to talk about her eczema and how she feels about it. The other kids can ask her questions, too.
- Take a cue from your child and talk to the other parents in his class or playgroup. Trust me, you’ll have mothers crying with gratitude for helping them to help their own children with eczema.
You May Like: How To Tell If I Have Eczema
Children’s Pyjamas Made With Tencel Premium
Our comfortable and cosy childrens pyjamas are made from tightly knitted, premium-quality TENCEL cotton fabric.
Your childs eczema shouldnt bother them nearly as much when theyre wearing their HappySkin® pyjamas, and that means a good nights sleep for all!
Very happy. Fast delivery, kept me up to date with my order, packaged nicely , friendly service.
Noticeable difference. Really fast delivery.
Love these… Beautiful boxed, fresh clean lines from Happy skin. First time Ive bought these products but absolutely love! Highly recommended. x
I bought these leggings for my grandson to wear in bed to stop him scratching his legs as he has severe eczema. They are made of a great material and fitted well, only problem was that my grandson managed to remove them almost immediately and hid them under his pillow! They arrived very promptly and are of a great material for little ones with problem skin.
Eczema And Sleep Whats The Big Deal
Sleep is essential for growth and development. Sleep allows our brains to recharge and directly affects our mental and physical health. When children are growing and learning so quickly, sleep is essential for restoring energy, growing and repairing muscles and other tissues, and maintaining overall health and wellness. If your child doesnt get enough sleep, you may witness problems with focus and behavior during the day as well as an increase in illnesses.
While, at times, many things can keep active children awake at night, eczema is an issue that can really cause sleep issues for the whole family. Itchy skin is frustrating, and eczema is unrelenting, even at night. Dry, rashy skin will cause tossing and turning and aggravated wake-ups throughout the night due to itching. But with our ultimate bedtime itch relief routine, including a new product aimed at soothing sensitive, inflamed skin all night long, you and your eczema-prone child will finally be able to catch more Zs!
Don’t Miss: Google How Do You Spell Eczema