What Are Treatments For Pruritus Scroti
Treatment options include the following:
- Corticosteroid creams and ointments: These can reduce inflammation, itching, and redness. The ointments may contain 0.025%-0.1% corticosteroid. It is advised not to use steroid creams for more than 7 days because steroids can cause the skin to thin out. They can also increase the chances of fungal infection in the irritated area.
- Other creams and ointments: Other topical treatments include calcineurin inhibitors that provide relief.
- Oral medications: Medications would include anti-itching medications, antibiotics, or antidepressants depending on the cause.
- Light therapy : Phototherapy uses a specific type of light to control the sensation of itching.
Could It Be Something Else
There have been some studies on scrotal eczema that could show signs of other diseases. The most common is syphilis which has been found where scrotal eczema is prominent. Our artificial intelligence skin image searcher can actually check you for this with 80% accuracy. This would mean you dont have to speak to a dermatologist.
However, if youre asking why the skin on my balls is peeling it is unlikely you have reached some of the more severe cases of scrotal eczema. For you we would recommend a quick check with our dermatologist and addressing some of the causes below.
Allergic Contact Dermatitis Of The Groin
Allergic contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes irritated and inflamed following physical contact with an allergen. Common products known to cause allergic dermatitis include plants, metals, soap, fragrance, and cosmetics.
Top Symptoms: groin redness, groin itch, scabbed area of the groin
Symptoms that always occur with allergic contact dermatitis of the groin: groin redness
Don’t Miss: Immediate Relief From Eczema Itching
Causes And Risk Factors
Some eczema risk factors are genetic, while others are environmental. The risk factors can also vary according to the type of eczema a person has.
Often, scrotal dermatitis occurs as a reaction to something in the environment. This makes it usually contact dermatitis. In other cases, it may be atopic dermatitis.
Risk factors for atopic dermatitis that cannot be changed include:
- Family history: The chance of developing atopic dermatitis is higher if there is a family history of atopic dermatitis, hay fever, or asthma.
- Ethnicity: Research suggests atopic dermatitis is
There is no cure for scrotal eczema, but treatments are available to reduce symptoms. The main treatments for eczema include:
- Emollients : These help prevent the skin from becoming dry.
- Corticosteroids: These are topical creams and ointments people use to reduce inflammation during flare-ups. They can include clobetasol, hydrocortisone, and others. In addition, a person with a severe flare-up can take oral prednisone or methylprednisolone. Learn more about corticosteroids here.
- Low or moderate potency topical corticosteroids: for the treatment of eczema in the genital areas.
- Lifestyle changes: This means identifying and avoiding triggers that cause eczema flares.
If a person has an infection in an area with dermatitis, then a doctor may prescribe additional medications such as antibiotics or antifungal medications.
In 2017, the
What Is The Treatment For Lichen Simplex Of The Scrotum
The main goals of treatment for scrotal lichen simplex are:
- Avoiding exacerbating factors
- Breaking the itchscratch cycle
- Treating any underlying dermatosis or predisposing condition
- Re-establishment of the normal skin barrier.
Short-term topical corticosteroids are used as first-line therapy to break the itchscratch cycle. Treatment principles for lichen simplex of the scrotum include using a medium potency topical steroid such as triamcinolone ointment until there is a resolution of active lesions. If the disease is refractory after 23 weeks of an intermediate-strength corticosteroid, more potent topical steroids can be used on a short-term basis. As the condition improves, the application frequency and potency of the corticosteroid should be decreased to minimise the adverse effects .
Aim to repair the barrier function of the skin with the frequent application of emollientcreams and moisturisers. Minimise environmental triggers such as:
- Sweating or excessive moisture
- Skin friction from tight-fitting or rough materials.
Identify and treat underlying disorders that cause or worsen scrotal lichen simplex . Other treatment recommendations include those below.
Read Also: Why Does Eczema Keep Coming Back
Playing Doctor At Home
- Bathing in warm water. Thats warm water, not hot! Follow up immediately with a cream or ointment to lock moisture in the National Eczema Association recommends doing this within 3 minutes of bathing.
- Colloidal oatmeal. Available in creams and bath mixtures, colloidal oatmeal helps maintain a moisture barrier on the skins surface and can be effective at reducing discomfort.
- Aloe vera gel. Not just for sunburns, aloe vera gel gives a soothing, cooling sensation to irritated skin too.
- Coconut oil. A 2010 study found that virgin coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which may help soothe your eczema or contact dermatitis symptoms.
If contact dermatitis is suspected, identification and avoidance of the allergen is key.
Be mindful not to have penetrative sex with a partner after applying topical treatments, as some may be unsafe for internal use thats just good manners.
Blister Or Sores On Foreskin And Balls
Blisters or sores on foreskin and balls could be as a result of many conditions such as:
- Infections such as bacterial infections
- Yeast infection on the foreskin
- Although rarely do allergies to medications and laxatives causes foreskin blisters
Other types of genital sores may be caused by skin conditions or rashes such as psoriasis, allergic reactions and non â sexually transmitted disease.
Seek the advice of a healthcare provider for diagnosis. It is important to determine the underlying cause for effective treatment.
You should contact a medical professional if you have unexplained genital sores or new ones appear in other parts of your body.
Read Also: How To Treat Eczema On Your Feet
Dry Itchy Skin After Shaving Groin Area
You may find that you experience dry itchy skin after shaving the groin area. This can be brought about by a number of factors. These include:
This causes a tagging movement which later causes your groin area to be dry an itchy.
Treatment Of Eczema On Scrotum And Conclusion
Treatment generally involves keeping the skin of the scrotum clean and free of excess moisture. This may mean wearing clothing that allows the skin in the area to breathe. A qualified dermatologist can assess the root cause of the irritation and prescribe medicated creams that can help soothe the skin and alleviate distress.
This post is brought to you by Care Dermatology. Were proud to offer the best dermatology in Florida, and our experts are always here to help you with your skin concerns. If you have any questions, please call one of our offices, and well be happy to help.
You can reach us at for our Fruitland Park location or for our location at The Villages. You can reach our Kissimmee location at .
Don’t Miss: Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream For Eczema Review
What Causes Lichen Simplex Of The Scrotum
Lichen simplex of the scrotum is attributed to a persistent itchscratch cycle. Underlying pruritus, a cutaneous or systemic condition, or neuropathy or psychiatric disorder can induce intractable scratching that leads to hypertrophy of the scrotal skin. Contributing factors to scrotal lichen simplex may include :
- Another pruritic skin disorder
- Contact with an irritant often triggered by heat, sweating, friction from clothing, or the excessive use of cleansers or topical medicaments
- Cutaneous infection usually fungal in origin, generally either candidiasis or a dermatophyte fungus
- Psychiatric disorder
- A benign or malignant skin tumour
- Localisedneuropathic itch
- A systemic cause of generalised itch .
Other Possible Causes Of Skin Symptoms On The Scrotum
There are many possible causes of an itchy, irritated scrotum. They include the following:
- Sexually transmitted infections While many are asymptomatic, STIs such as genital herpes and syphilis can cause sores to develop around the genitals that may resemble eczema lesions.
- Fungal Infections Fungal and yeast infections frequently affect the genitals. This is because intertriginous areas areas where skin folds on itself provide moist, warm environments in which fungus and yeast like to grow.
- Psoriasis Psoriasis, like eczema, is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the skin. While psoriasis is less likely to affect the genitals than eczema, it is possible for dry, scaly psoriatic lesions to develop on the scrotum.
- Lichen planus Lichen planus is an inflammatory skin condition that affects the skin and mucous membranes, causing swollen, irritated patches of flat, itchy, discolored bumps. An estimated 20 percent of people with lichen planus develop the condition solely on their genitals.
- Extramammary Paget disease This is a rare form of adenocarcinoma . It most commonly affects the scrotum, causing symptoms that may resemble scrotal dermatitis, such as pain, burning, and itching that may lead to lichenification when scratched persistently.
You May Like: What Foods Can Cause Eczema To Flare Up
Prevent Scrotal Eczema From Starting And Progressing In A Bad Way
Please dialHOTLINE for more information or register for an appointment HERE. Download MyVinmec app to make appointments faster and receive 20% off for consultation fee at the first appointment MyVinmec app is also available and convenient for your bookings management andTelehealth service with Vinmec doctors all in one.
What Is Genital Dermatitis
In younger boys, we often see topical skin rashes or dermatitis caused by soaps, detergents, nonbreathable underwear/diapers and poor hygiene, said Jeffrey T. White, M.D., pediatric urologist with Norton Childrens Urology, affiliated with the UofL School of Medicine. These things disturb the natural balance of the delicate genital skin, causing so-called bad bacteria or yeast to grow and cause issues.
According to Dr. White, the condition often is caused by poor self-hygiene habits and irritation from natural waste products versus contact with others.
Genital dermatitis symptoms
Common symptoms of genital dermatitis include:
- Red, irregular rash
Genital dermatitis treatment and prevention
You May Like: How Do You Get Eczema In Your Ear
What Else Can Help
Dermatitis is just one of the possible causes of foot rashes. Other conditions such as athletes foot and psoriasis can cause dry skin and itching which may mimic eczema. Visit the foot rash section to find out more.
Remember, managing eczema is a daily thing. It is really important to regularly moisturise even when you are symptom free to stop your foot eczema from flaring up again.
How To Naturally Heal Scrotal Eczema
In a previous blog post, we discussed many ways to heal groin eczema. However, many men can suffer from something known as scrotal eczema as well. This condition affects the scrotum and the bag of skin containing the testicles.
Similarly to groin eczema, this form of dermatitis can be extremely embarrassing and uncomfortable due to thin, sensitive skin. This area is also more prone to inflammation and irritation because it is both warm and moist.
Scrotum eczema symptoms include:
- Dry, scaly skin
Like groin eczema, scrotum dermatitis can be easily confused for jock itch. Jock itch is a fungal infection that resembles groin or scrotal eczema, but is actually contagious, unlike dermatitis.
To properly diagnose your skin condition, we recommend visiting a professional doctor. Seeking medical attention can help you diagnose your condition faster and find relief.
Also Check: Best Treatment For Eczema On Feet
Scrotal Eczema And Dermatitis
Scrotal dermatitis is characterized by severe itching, erythema, scaling and lichenification of the scrotal skin. Several factors are responsible for the condition, the most important being psychological stress and contact dermatitis either allergic or irritant.
The condition has been easily overlooked as fungal infection of the scrotal area. Due to wide spread use of antiseptics and over the counter topical agents, this condition is very common nowadays.
Scrotal dermatitis may be considered as an end result of various insults to the skin either patient induced or as a result of the pathological process. The symptoms vary depending on the etiological factors.
The main pathology, like elsewhere is the persistent inflammation of the scrotal skin leading to the release of the various inflammatory mediators and this evokes continuous scratching of the scrotal skin leading to further aggravation of the inflammation and thus begins a vicious cycle which finally culminates in a lichenified scrotum.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle
Although its critical to seek treatment for eczema, there are also steps you can take at home to keep your eczema under control. In general, wearing loose-fitting clothing, avoiding chemicals or irritants, and moisturizing the skin can all help alleviate eczema symptoms.
The following remedies and lifestyle adjustments can help you manage eczema on the penis:
- Wear loose-fitting, 100% cotton underwear. This allows airflow to your genitals and is less likely to cause irritation.
- Wash your underwear in hot water to kill any contaminants.
- Wash the genitals with warm water. Avoid soap and other harsh or scented substances.
- If you have a genital piercing, use only high-quality jewelry. Nickel, found in cheaper jewelry, can trigger eczema.
- Take an oatmeal bath for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Press a cool, damp cloth onto the skin that is itchy.
Also Check: Do I Need To See A Dermatologist For Eczema
The Best Moisturizers For Dry Balls
If you want to start moisturizing your balls, try to choose a soap that isnt harsh and irritating, such as a gentle cleansing bar that wont irritate the skin and offers moisturization while still removing dirt and oil. The Dove Beauty Bar is a good pick.
When it comes to choosing a moisturizer, Zeichner recommends light lotions, “rather than heavier creams or ointments that can leave your skin moist and more susceptible tobacterial or fungal overgrowth,” he says. The newest generation of moisturizers are light, easy to apply, and fully absorbent instead of sitting on top of your skin.
While there are lotions available specifically for your balls, Zeichner instead recommends something simple like Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair Unscented lotion . If you already have raw, chapped skin, try a product like Cerave Healing Ointment , which can form a protective seal over the skin. Be sure to wipe off any excess cream before you put on underwear .
If you do want to start moisturizing your balls, be sure to wash off any skincare products from the genital area before doing the dirty, so they dont cause irritation to your partners orifices. After all, whats the point of having a perfectly moisturized package if it ends up causing problems for someone else?
Wear breathable cotton underwear, and avoid from products with fragrance. While you may be tempted to try to improve the scent of your niblets, fragranced lotions can cause skin allergies and irritation.
Causes And Treatment Of Itchy Scrotum
Usually, good hygiene of the genital area is the first step to getting rid of an itchy scrotum and addressing the underlying health condition. However, too much washing around the genitals with soaps may cause dry scrotal skin and strip away the protective barrier that keeps your skin healthy.
Lets look at the causes of an itchy scrotum and what you can do to get relief from itching testicles.
Also Check: How To Stop Eczema Inflammation
Can Home Remedies Help
Yes. Some ways to ease the itch are:
Moisturize daily. This is a must, Daveluy says. Choose a moisturizer that doesnât have a lot of perfumes and fragrances, which can irritate the skin. Find one that you like and use it at least once a day, he says.
Chill. Scratching and rubbing a lot can damage skin, so ease the itch with an ice pack or a bag of frozen peas. You can apply it directly to your skin for a few seconds, Daveluy says. If you want to use it longer, wrap it in a clean towel or fabric first, he adds.
Shop safely. Donât use over-the-counter products for your groin without talking to your dermatologist first. Many OTC products have ingredients that can irritate eczema, Daveluy says.
Take a bleach bath. You can try this a few times a week if your dermatologist says itâs OK for you:
Try an oatmeal bath. This also might help ease the itch. Hereâs what to do:
- Buy colloidal oatmeal. You can usually find it at stores that sell health and beauty goods.
- Add some oatmeal to running, lukewarm bath water.
- Soak for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat yourself dry, but leave your eczema-affected skin a bit damp.
- Apply your medicine, and then moisturize.
- The oatmeal might make the floor of the bath extra slippery, so be careful when you climb out.
- Donât eat the oatmeal.
Is Genital Eczema An Std Or Sti
Genital eczema is not a sexually transmitted disease or sexually transmitted infection . In fact, since eczema is not contagious, it cannot be passed between partners. However, the appearance of genital eczemawhich can include red, swollen skin, blisters, and a rashis similar to the appearance of many STIs or STDs.
You May Like: Can Heat Flare Up Eczema