How To Choose A Moisturiser Forbabies & Children
A babys skin may be beautiful and soft but, as many mothers will know, it can also be susceptible to dryness, sensitivity and redness. Ultra-fine and delicate, young childrens skin requires a gentle touch as well as mild and effective skincare products to help keep it soft, hydrated, and balanced. Choosing a moisturiser for babies and children can therefore be challenging, so weve created this straightforward guide to help. From the best hydrating and barrier-boosting skincare ingredients to those to avoid, weve covered everything you need to know about choosing a moisturiser for your child. Read on to discover how to care for your little ones sensitive, dry or very dry skin today.
Aveeno Dermexa Emollient Cream 200ml
Aveeno is the magic word on everyones lips when you mention eczema and rightly so. Its oat-based moisturising formulas have been calming skin for years. This emollient cream is super hydrating while also being gentle enough to use even through flare ups. Its light and easily absorbed while also restoring calm to your childs raw skin and giving immediate comfort.
Its packed with avenanthramides an antioxidant found in oats that will reduce inflammation long after youve applied it. If your child has a particularly bad patch of eczema, smother them in this stuff for instant relief. In addition, theres a new gorgeous smelling calming comfort range that will encourage relaxation while also giving your child Aveenos signature oat-based moisturisation.
Keep babies with sensitive skin more comfortable with our best organic cotton babygrows which have a soft touch
IndyBest product reviews are unbiased, independent advice you can trust. On some occasions, we earn revenue if you click the links and buy the products, but we never allow this to bias our coverage. The reviews are compiled through a mix of expert opinion and real-world testing.
Natural Remedies For Eczema In Children
The article also includes expert answers by Dr. Hina Shaikh, MD.
Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis, is an inflammatory, non-contagious skin condition affecting about 30% of the U.S. population, mainly children and adolescents. It is characterized by chronically dry, itchy skin, and people with this condition may be more susceptible to skin infections.
Also Check: Tanning Bed Good For Eczema
Here Are The Reasons Why You Should Get The Best Moisturizers For Eczema:
- Medical experts suggested that good moisturizers for eczema are capable of providing soothing relief that would address itchiness and irritations.
- These moisturizers will help in locking in moisture onto the skin to form a protective barrier that will prevent dryness.
- Best skin treatment for eczema such as moisturizers will help prevent dehydration and infection by providing long lasting soothing hydration to the skin.
What Are Ointments Lotions Creams
The difference between these types of moisturizers is the content of oil and water. Dr. Michael McDonald, a dermatology professor at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, states that ointment has about 80% oil-20% water, cream is 50/50, a lotion is less oil and more water.
These are called vehicles as they help transport the active ingredient through a medium.
Also Check: How To Use Sea Moss For Eczema
Weleda White Mallow Body Lotion 1195 For 200ml
From a well-known name in the baby skin care industry, the Weleda white mallow has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance, as its fragrance-free, moisturizes sensitive skin and relieves itching caused by dryness.
Its made with 95% organic ingredients, like white mallow, coconut oil, sesame seed oil, sunflower seed oil and sweet almond oil. The natural ingredients shouldnt irritate very dry and sensitive skin in the same way that artificial chemicals can.
Parents who bought the cream from Amazon for their children praised the speedy effectiveness of the product. One reviewer using this on their 5-month-old daughters eczema said that, her skin got so much better and nearly clear of eczema after 5 days of use!
Another parent also reviewing on Amazon added that the, cooling effect is really good for calming down the skin when it gets red and hot and said the cream ticks both boxes of being moisturising and soothing.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
Managing Eczema In Children
The first step towards managing atopic dermatitis is to avoid potential triggers. These may include food or environmental allergens. For example, wool has been shown to irritate the skin of children with eczema.
Wearing alternative fabrics such as cotton and silk have shown to reduce itching and assist in absorption of moisturizers.
Also Check: Best Diapers For Eczema Baby
How To Use A Moisturizer
Itâll work best if you apply it after a bath or shower. Use lukewarm — not hot — water. Bathe for just about 10 minutes.
Pat your skin dry. Leave it slightly damp. That way you donât remove all the moisture you got from bathing.
Apply moisturizer within 3 minutes after you get out of the water. Wait longer and your skin will start to dry out.
Soften the moisturizer by rubbing it between your hands. Use your palms to smear a thick layer all over your skin. Apply it gently in simple downward strokes. Try not to rub it in circles or up and down.
It may feel sticky at first, but that’s OK. Don’t try to take off the extra. Your skin will absorb it.
Each time your wash your hands or get them wet, moisturize them, too. Keep moisturizer by each sink in the house so you don’t forget.
If you use a prescription skin medicine, put it on before you moisturize.
Best Face Moisturizer For Eczema Reviews In 2021
- Soothing eczema cream for targeted areas on body, face, and hands is clinically shown to relieve itchy, irritated skin.
- This steroid and antibiotic free eczema cream helps visibly reduce the signs of eczema. Accepted by the National Eczema Association. Suitable for children 3 years and up. From the #1 Body Care Brand in European Pharmacies.
- Recommended for Eczema-prone skin, dry, itchy and irritated skin, as well as sensitive skin. Steroid free and antibiotic free eczema cream
- Visibly reduces signs of eczema and provides long lasting relief. Helps relieve itching and irritation. Soothing, non-greasy cream texture
- Formulated with 1% Colloidal Oatmeal: Derived from oats with soothing properties. Used in Lipikar Eczema Cream as a skin protectant to help relieve minor skin irritation and itching due to eczema and rashes. Shea Butter to help restore the skin’s hydrolipidic film and help skin feel soothed.
Don’t Miss: Is Eczema Itchy At Night
Eczema Symptoms In Kids Aged 2 Years Old Until Puberty
- Rashes that usually appears behind the creases of knees and elbows as well as on the ankles, wrists, neck and the creases between the legs and buttocks
- Rashes might thicken in a process called lichenification where it develops knots and permanent itch
- It may darken or lighten in color
- Rashes may become bumpy
- Rashes in adults are more scaly: than those seen in children
- Rashes can be permanently itchy
- Dry skin
- Rashes may cover much of the body
- Rashes usually appear at the nape of the neck, or in the creases of the knees and elbows
Adults who suffered eczema as a kid but no longer experience the skin condition can still have a dry or easily-irritated skin, eye problems or hand eczema.
The appearance of skin part that is affected by eczema depends on how much it was scratched and whether it becomes infected or not. Rubbing and scratching further can irritate the skin, make itchiness worse and increase inflammation.
Earth Mama Kids Eczema Cream
as of December 22, 2021 5:26 am
- Temporarily protects and helps relieve minor skin irritation and itching due to: rashes, eczema, poison ivy, oak, or sumac, and insect bites. For use on mild to moderate eczema, or as directed by a physician
- Immediate therapeutic itch relief that does no harm, with NO steroids, petrolatum, fragrance, or harsh artificial preservatives like phenoxyethanol, sodium benzoate or potassium sorbate that are no friends to sensitive, already-angry skin
- Made the way herbalists have been making creams for millennia, with an infusion of organic herbs and oils traditionally used to battle irritated, itchy skin, with an extraordinarily generous dose of meticulously-sourced organic colloidal oatmeal
- Helps all kinds of itchy skin, and is safe for kids and pregnant women and the whole family
- Pediatrician and dermatologist tested and certified to the NSF/ANSI 305 Standard by Oregon Tilth
Recommended Reading: Best Pajamas For Babies With Eczema
Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream Natural Colloidal Oatmeal & Vitamin B5 Moisturizes & Relieves Dry Itchy Irritated Skin Due To Eczema Paraben
$ as of December 22, 2021 5:26 am
- 7.3-ounce tube of Aveeno baby eczema therapy moisturizing cream to soothe dry, itchy, irritated skin due to eczema and strengthens the skin’s moisture barrier to prevent and protect against dryness and eczema
- Breakthrough baby eczema cream combines soothing natural colloidal oatmeal skin protectant with vitamin B5 and intensely moisturizes and helps prevents the recurrence of extra dry skin from eczema
- Hypoallergenic and non-greasy baby moisturizing cream is clinically proven to reduce itching, dryness and irritation caused by eczema
- Developed with leading dermatologists, this oatmeal baby cream is formulated specially for babies and provides soothing and effective baby eczema relief
- This moisturizing cream is pH-balanced and free from steroids, fragrances, parabens, phthalates and phenoxyethanol. Aveeno is recommended by pediatricians and dermatologists. This cream is accepted by the National Eczema Association
Child’s Farm Baby Moisturizer $10 At Amazon
This award-winning moisturiser is suitable for newborns and up and gets rave reviews from lots of mums we spoke to. Its the only moisturiser we use, says Jo, mum of two. My kids are at school now, but this was our go-to when they were tiny and we still love it. Amazon reviewers agree, saying that the cream was the only product that worked to clear up our babys eczema. People also love the fact that it has a mild fragrance and isnt oily. Its also dermatologist and paediatrican-approved.
Recommended Reading: Best Lip Treatment For Eczema
Rethink Clothesand How To Wash Them
Fragranced products of any kind that come in contact with the skin can potentially cause an allergic reaction, says Yale Medicine dermatologist Christine Ko, MD. Any residue left on clothing can also lead to skin irritation. If you or your child has sensitive skin, adjust how you wash clothing, sheets and blankets to help prevent allergic and irritant reactions, she says.
- Dont use fragranced detergents, fabric softeners, dryer sheets or antistatic sheets.
- Always wash clothes before wear to remove finishing chemicals such as formaldehyde, flame retardants and dyes that can trigger sensitivity or allergic skin reactions.
- Opt for 100 percent cotton or silk clothing, mittens and hats as opposed to wool, which can be prickly, or polyester, which can cause sweating .
- Avoid overdressing your child in heavy clothing. Its better to dress them in layers and to open or remove jackets, as necessary, to avoid excessive sweating.
Eczema And Sleep Whats The Big Deal
Sleep is essential for growth and development. Sleep allows our brains to recharge and directly affects our mental and physical health. When children are growing and learning so quickly, sleep is essential for restoring energy, growing and repairing muscles and other tissues, and maintaining overall health and wellness. If your child doesnt get enough sleep, you may witness problems with focus and behavior during the day as well as an increase in illnesses.
While, at times, many things can keep active children awake at night, eczema is an issue that can really cause sleep issues for the whole family. Itchy skin is frustrating, and eczema is unrelenting, even at night. Dry, rashy skin will cause tossing and turning and aggravated wake-ups throughout the night due to itching. But with our ultimate bedtime itch relief routine, including a new product aimed at soothing sensitive, inflamed skin all night long, you and your eczema-prone child will finally be able to catch more Zs!
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Eczema Patch On Face
Gentle Soaps And Detergents
Laundry detergent can contain harsh chemicals that aggravate eczema.
Many body washes and cleansers contain detergents, which help provide a soapy lather. Detergents and other lathering agents can dry out the skin, especially in people with eczema.
Bar soaps can also be harsh on the skin because of their alkalinity.
Try using a gentle, no-lather, fragrance-free cleanser. Avoid products with rough particles for scrubbing or exfoliating, as these can further irritate the skin.
Many people with eczema also find that switching to a more gentle, fragrance- or color-free laundry detergent can help improve symptoms.
Additionally, try skipping fabric softener, which lingers on clothes and often contains fragrances and chemicals that can irritate the skin.
Sitting next to a fireplace or near a furnace may feel good, but it can worsen eczema symptoms. The hot, dry air can dehydrate the skin and aggravate the itchiness of eczema.
Use a humidifier during the dry winter months and avoid getting too close to heaters and fireplaces.
Badger Baby Balm $1537 At Nourished Life
Image: Nourished Life
Another much-loved balm with plenty of fans, this is made with extra virgin olive oil and calendula and chamomile, to soothe, soften and protect delicate baby skin. Its got lots of positive reviews from mums who say it made a big difference to their childs eczema, with one saying, Badger magic! Have been using this balm for 10+ years for way more than baby stuff heals skin amazingly fast is gentle and soothing. Truly remarkable stuff.
You May Like: Get Rid Of Eczema Patches
What The Seal Of Acceptance From National Eczema Association
The National Eczema Association has a directory of products that are suitable for people with eczema or sensitive skin. This can be helpful as you find the best baby moisturizer for eczema. Those products that are considered acceptable are awarded the Seal of Acceptance. Its based on a list of ingredients to avoid which are known irritants to sensitive skin or eczema.
Image courtesy of National Eczema Association
How To Use It
People can buy aloe vera gel in health stores or online, or they can purchase an aloe vera plant and use the gel directly from its leaves.
Individuals should aim to use aloe gel products with few ingredients others can contain preservatives, alcohol, fragrances, and colors, which can irritate sensitive skin. Additionally, alcohol and other drying ingredients could make eczema worse.
However, start with a small amount of gel to check for skin sensitivity, as sometimes, aloe vera can cause burning or stinging. However, it is generally safe and effective for adults and children.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Eczema Wrinkles
How To Use Moisturizers
In addition to applying your child’s moisturizer immediately after a bath or shower, it can also help if you:
- Use a fragrance-free moisturizer that is in ointment form.
- Avoid moisturizers that contain alcohol and SLS: they can be drying or irritating.
- Continue to use a moisturizer every day, even when your child’s eczema is under good control.
- Apply a moisturizer several times a day, not just after baths and showers.
- After your child goes swimming, be sure to rinse them off and then quickly apply a moisturizer.
- Consider using wet dressings or wet-to-dry dressings right after you moisturize your child’s skin when they have hard-to-control eczema flares.
Wild Naturals Eczema And Psoriasis Cream
This cream from Wild Naturals is specifically formulated for eczema and psoriasis relief. It stops itching and pain in an instant and promotes repair of damaged cells. This cream uses organic aloe vera as its first ingredient, for an effective anti-inflammatory effect that penetrates the skin quickly and soothes itchy, inflamed, flaky and cracked skin.
Moreover, it uses a medical grade honey called manuka honey which is a powerful moisturizer packed with a unique blend of amino acid, minerals and vitamins, and unmatched healing properties. This cream also has a 15-in-1 formula which is perfectly balanced at 5.5 so that it is easily absorbed by the skin and has a non-greasy, light feeling.
Read Also: Best Hand Cream For Severe Eczema
Aquaphor Healing Ointment Cream
This cream from Aquaphor is dermatologist recommended for dry heels and feet, cracked cuticles, chapped lips and cracked and dry skin. It is clinically proven to restore healthy and smooth skin without preservatives and harmful chemicals.
Moreover, this cream for eczema is uniquely formulated with 41 percent petroleum that allows oxygen to flow and heal the skin Panthenol for skin protection and glycerin to nourish, moisturize and protect the skin and enhance its healing.
Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion 769 For 300ml
Aveeno lotion has the naturally active colloidal oatmeal formula and can be applied to skin when dry, making it ideal for use after bathing, although it can be used as often as required.
Suitable for babies from 3 months old, its fragrance free, non-greasy and easily absorbed. Aveeno also gets the seal of approval from the National Eczema Association and people who have used the oat-based cream on eczema conditions themselves also seem to approve.
My little boy is 10 months and has suffered with eczema since he was around 6 months, touch wood, since using Aveeno his eczema has gone! said one parent, while MFM Facebook group member Emma described Aveeno as a go to product for her child who suffers from eczema.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
Don’t Miss: Eczema On Hands And Feet Blisters