Other Ingredients To Soothe Eczema
Research continues to evolve to identify the best ingredients for treating eczema. Dr. Anthony shares two ingredients that have been found to be particularly soothing.
- Licorice root: Studies show that glycyrrhizin, a compound in licorice root, has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe skin with eczema. And Dr. Anthony says its unlikely to cause allergies.
- Colloidal oatmeal: Made of finely milled oat kernels, this ingredient has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a good choice for people with eczema.
Cerave Therapeutic Hand Cream $1049
This formulation contains dimethicone, ceramides, hyaluronic acid and ceramides. All of the above ingredients help to lock in hydration and improve the functionality of the skin barrier, Dr. Mack said. I use this personally after hand washing multiple times a day the nongreasy formula makes compliance easy.
Does Eczema Get Worse In Different Seasons
According to board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Sheel Desai Solomon of Preston Dermatology, cold weather and dry air often go hand in hand. Too much dry air can zap your skin of natural moisture. Dryness often leads to itching, which then leads to scratching and inflammation, she explains.
On the other hand, hot weather can also irritate eczema. Heavy perspiration can lead to itchy skin as well as prolonged exposure to water is another eczema-trigger. Water can cause dry skin, which can lead to persistent itching,” adds Dr. Solomon.
Read Also: Eczema Skin Peeling On Hands
Act Gold Bond Ultimate Eczema Relief Skin Protectant Cream 8 Oz
Act Gold Bond Eczema cream is a new eczema cream solution. The new product has continued to receive positive reviews from users. The cream solution contains 7 moisturizing components and 3 skin vitamin essentials that ensure that your skin remains hydrated and supple at all times. It helps relieve skin dryness, skin scaling/peeling, and roughness. It has a 2% colloidal oatmeal composition that ensures that your skin is protected from skin irritants. The cream product is fragrance and steroid free and extensively tested by Dermatologists which has made many users believe that is one of the Best Eczema Creams around. Act Gold Bond Eczema cream goes for only $10.64.
How We Chose The Best Baby Eczema Creams
So, how do you know which creams are more likely to be effective? Youll want to look for one that doesnt irritate your babys skin.
Youll also want to make sure that it locks in moisture to help treat the current flare-up while providing a barrier to prevent future flare-ups.
When choosing our favorite baby eczema creams, we tried to find ones that had a higher chance of success by considering:
- whether its a cream, lotion, or ointment
- if its fragrance-free
- if its hypoallergenic
Creams tend to be thick and good for all-day use, but they can include allergenic preservatives or fragrances that can make eczema worse.
Ointments tend to be very greasy and are not appropriate for weeping eczema. However, they have a lesser chance of stinging or burning than creams and lotions and tend to be more moisturizing. They may be better tolerated by infants.
Lotions have fewer fats than creams, and theyre usually water-based. This makes them easier to rub into the body but less effective at moisturizing skin.
Just because a cream is organic or natural, it doesnt guarantee its hypoallergenic, so youll want to double-check for that distinction.
Also, we know that price can be a factor, so we made sure to keep that in mind.
Don’t Miss: Good Face Wash For Eczema
What Are The Different Types Of Eczema
There are different types of dermatitis, including atopic eczema, allergic contact dermatitis, irritant contact dermatitis, and asteatotic eczema. When most people talk about eczema they usually are referring to atopic dermatitis or atopic eczema. Atopic dermatitis is common and tends to run in families along with asthma, hay fever, sinus trouble, and dry skin.
Atopic Eczema Around The Eyes Treatment
Atopic dermatitis has two distinct phases. On a daily basis and in the periods between flare-ups use gentle, fragrance-free eye make-up removers, cleansers and moisturisers. Try to avoid cosmetic products that contain fragrances and preservatives as these may irritate your skin.During the acute phase when skin flares-up, a non-medical product such as Eucerin AtoControl Face Care Cream can be used as an eye cream for eczema alongside a medical product to soothe skin during a flare-up.
Medical treatments for eyelid dermatitis
As well as using a dry eyelids cream, ask your doctor for advice on how to calm and care for skin in the eye area during a flare-up. Your doctor may prescribe corticosteroids to treat eczema on eyelids and relieve symptoms. These steroid-based creams are applied directly to the eyelids to reduce dryness and treat inflammation.
You May Like: How To Use Manuka Honey For Eczema
Read Also: Phototherapy For Eczema At Home
Best For Feet: Love Lori Foot Finish Foot Cream
“Urea, which is a humectant, can be very helpful in terms of keeping the feet smooth,” Dr. Markowitz says of this foot cream’s all-star ingredient. The fast-absorbing formula provides instant relief and works to heal dry, cracked, and itchy skin by repairing the moisture barrier, which helps kick-start its renewal process. In addition to soothing dryness in eczema-prone skin, it can also be used as a remedy for calluses and corns.
“Great for eczema,” . “It dries it up and helps with itching in the acute stage, and keeps it moisturized enough that it doesn’t crack and turn fire engine red when in the subacute stage. I have a really bad flare-up right now, but this urea cream is keeping it from driving me absolutely insane.”
Lastly A Special Note About Scrubs:
Although scrubs may be a seemingly obvious fix for sloughing off dead skin, avoid using scrubs on skin with active eczema. A scrub by definition would likely be really irritating for skin affected by eczema. However, if the granules are soft , and if the base of the product is heavier and more ointment-like, then water may be trapped in the skin , and the hydration may soothe the eczema.
Don’t Miss: Can Antihistamines Help With Eczema
Home Remedies For Weeping Eczema
Certain methods, like using bandages to wrap skin and keep it moisturized and protected, should not be used if you have an infection unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Some people report improved symptoms with other approaches, such as:
- Antiseptic emollients. Your doctor may recommend these products to help hydrate your skin and protect it from bacteria.
- Stress management exercises.
Best Smelling Baby Lotion
Price: $If theres one signature baby lotion scent, its definitely Johnson & Johnsons bedtime baby lotion, which, according to the manufacturer, is clinically proven to help your baby fall asleep thanks to an infusion of calming chamomile and lavender.Its main emollient ingredient is glycerin, which works to nourish dry skin and help it retain moisture. As its name suggests, this is the perfect lotion to use right after the bath to help ease your baby into their bedtime routine.
Read Also: How Do You Stop Eczema From Spreading
Best For Face: Eucerin Daily Hydration Lotion
Courtesy of CVS
Enriched with sunflower oil and vitamin B5
May not be heavy enough for severe eczema or dry skin
Slight smell may be unappealing to some
If youre looking to soothe facial eczema or dry patches on the face, this lightweight, non-greasy lotion is a great pick for daily use. Users find that it hydrates skin effectively but is gentle enough on the most sensitive skin.
The Eucerin Daily Hydration Lotion contains ingredients such as sunflower oil, which studies have found to have benefits for dry and scaly skin, and pro-vitamin B5, which helps moisturize and protect the skin.
Active Ingredient: Helianthus Annuus seed oil, petrolatum, glycerin | Scent: Fragrance-free, users report a slight smell | Usage: Apply right after bathing
How Often Should I Use Cetaphil
Use once or twice a day! Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser can be used in the morning and in the evening as it has a low-foaming formulation that has been known for its gentleness on the acne-prone skin. So, if you have a daily skincare routine for acne, Cetaphil is gentle enough to use on your face every day.
Personally, I have used Cetaphil two times daily, in the morning and at night to make sure that my face is free from all skin surface oils, dirt and makeup as I begin a new day and as I finish my day at night
You will like Cetaphil facial cleanser as it does not irritate or strip out the skin, which in many cases other products can leave your skin feeling tight and dry.
Also Check: Shampoo For Sensitive Skin Eczema
Read Also: Is Eczema A Sign Of Pregnancy
What Makes Atopic Eczema Flare
- Many factors in a persons environment can make AE worse these include heat, dust, woollen clothing, pets and irritants such as soaps, detergents and other chemicals.
- Being unwell, for example having a common cold cancause a flare-up.
- Infections with bacteria or viruses can worsen AE. Bacterial infection makes the affected skin yellow, crusty and inflamed, and may need specific treatment. An infection with the cold sore virus can cause a sudden painful widespread flare-up of AE, with weeping small sores.
- Dryness of the skin.
- In some, food allergens may rarely cause a flare up
Wear Gloves To Protect The Skin On Your Hands
Wear vinyl or plastic gloves for work that requires you to have your hands in water. Also, wear gloves when your hands are exposed to anything that can irritate your skin. Wear cotton gloves under plastic gloves to soak up sweat from your hands. Take occasional breaks and remove your gloves. This will prevent a buildup of sweat inside your gloves.
Wear gloves when you go outside during the winter. Cold air and low humidity can dry your skin. Dryness can make your eczema worse. Wear clothes made of cotton or a cotton blend. Wool and some synthetic fabrics can irritate your skin.
Also Check: Homemade Face Wash For Eczema
How To Prevent Eczema Flare
Theres no known cure for eczema, and symptoms wont go away on their own. For most people, eczema is a chronic condition that requires careful avoidance of triggers to help prevent flare-ups.
- Moisturize the affected areas at least twice a day. Weve taken the guesswork out of how to stop eczema immediately with an eczema cream.
- Take shorter baths or showers with tepid versus hot water. Pat versus rub your skin dry afterward.
- Only use gentle soaps, cleansers, and body lotions.
- Keep a humidifier in the rooms you spend the most time in, like the bedroom. Hot, dry indoor air can parch sensitive skin and worsen itching and flaking. Opt for a portable unit or attach one to your furnace to add moisture to the air inside your home.
- Wear cool, smooth-textured clothing and avoid clothing thats rough, tight, or scratchy. Also, wear appropriate clothing in hot weather or during exercise to prevent excessive sweating. Take a short, tepid shower immediately after physical activity.
- Get a hold of your stress and anxiety. Such emotional disorders can aggravate atopic dermatitis. Try yoga, meditation, exercise, or an activity that brings you pleasure. Speak to a professional if need be.
- See a dermatologist to discuss your treatment options if topical creams and lotions arent working.
Related: Best Scar Creams
What Kind Of Products Treat Eczema
From creams and lotions to ointments and oils, it can be hard to know whats what and whats best. Before you start looking into ingredients, its helpful to understand the difference among products.
- Lotions are spreadable and sink into your skin the best. But because theyre quickly absorbed, they dont last as long as other options. They also have a bit higher risk of stinging raw skin, Dr. Anthony warns.
- Creams have more oil and less water than lotion, and theyre a little thicker/heavier. They wont sink in as quickly, but you also dont need to apply them as often.
- Ointments are the most occlusive option, meaning theyre the best at locking moisture into your skin. But theyre also the greasiest. They spread well and last longer, but they get on things like clothes and bedsheets, Dr. Anthony notes.
- Oils are fats that are liquid at room temperature. Most skin oils are plant-based think argan oil, rose hip oil and tea tree oil, among others. And while some people find success with oils, for the most part, Dr. Anthony doesnt recommend them for eczema.
If youre looking for a one-size-fits-all answer to the best product for your eczema, you wont find one. It ends up being about each patients preference and tolerance, Dr. Anthony says. What feels good on your skin is probably the best product for you.
But knowing your options including what products are available, what they do and what ingredients to look for can go a long way in helping you decide.
Read Also: Aloe Vera Plant For Eczema
How We Chose The Best Eczema Creams
We talked with the pros to find out what to look for in an eczema cream as well as what to avoid. The advice of board certified dermatologists informed every option on our list, helping us single out the products that truly deliver.
- Contains proven ingredients.Dr. Jeannette Graf, board certified Dermatologist and Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Mt. Sinai, gave us some tips for scouring ingredient lists:
- Unscented petroleum jelly helps repair skin barrier function and lock in hydration.
- Aloe vera soothes inflammation and can aid in the healing process.
- Niacinamide helps improve skin function.
- Other effective ingredients include ceramides, colloidal oatmeal, and other humectants like glycerin, lactic acid, and hyaluronic acid
If youre overwhelmed by the options out there, Vanicream is a solid place to start. The petroleum jelly-based formula seals in moisture and is perfect for dry, sensitive skin which more than likely describes your skin sitch if you have eczema.
Best Overall Eczema Treatment
The Strategist is designed to surface the most useful, expert recommendations for things to buy across the vast e-commerce landscape. Some of our latest conquests include the best acne treatments, rolling luggage, pillows for side sleepers, natural anxiety remedies, and bath towels. We update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.
Every editorial product is independently selected. If you buy something through our links, New York may earn an affiliate commission.
You May Like: Can Eczema Spread To Others
Medications To Help To Reduce Scars
Keeping the skin moisturised once the initial wound has healed, after approximately 3 weeks, is the best method of preventing or reducing scars. Bath emollients and moisturisers can also help to restore the skins smoothness and elasticity.
Emollients are preparations that soften the skin. Sometimes the skin can become too dry whilst its healing, causing it to become puckered. Using soap and water to cleanse the skin can cause it to become dry and irritated.
Emollients can help to prevent this effect and may help to calm the scar. Adding bath oil or additive or using an emollient shower gel can help to soothe, hydrate and smooth the skin. However, the effects are short lived so a moisturising cream or ointment needs to be applied to the area as well, to provide longer term benefit. Examples of suitable emollients include:
- Aveeno bath oil
- Doublebase emollient bath additive or shower gel
- E45 bath oil or E45 wash cream
- Oilatum emollient bath additive or shower gel
- QV bath oil and QV gentle wash, and
Moisturisers allow the skin to retain moisture for a longer time than the bath additives and shower gel and should be used after the skin is washed and dried thoroughly. Sun block cream with SPF 35 or greater may be suitable for skin that is exposed to sunlight. The following examples are suitable to use for small scars:
- Aveeno cream
Balancing The Skins Acidity Levels
Vinegar is highly acidic. The skin is naturally acidic, but people with eczema may have less acidic skin than others, which can weaken the skins defenses.
Applying diluted apple cider vinegar could help balance the skins acidity levels, but vinegar can cause burns if it is not diluted.
In contrast, many soaps, detergents, and cleansers are alkaline. They can disrupt the acidity of the skin, which can leave the skin vulnerable to damage. This may explain why washing with certain soaps can cause eczema flares.
Recommended Reading: Best Pajamas For Babies With Eczema
There Are Different Types Of Eczema
- Contact dermatitis: It usually develops after your skin gets into contact with a known irritant/ allergen.
- Nummular Eczema: Also called the discoid Eczema, this type of dermatitis is much common within the older population. Allergens usually cause it the condition is depicted by round lesions that weep out a fluid.
- Atopic dermatitis: It is the most common type of Eczema. Typically, the medical condition is caused by a malfunction in the immune system and problems with the skin barrier.
- Dyshidrotic Eczema: The problem is most likely to develop if you are exposed to allergens. Usually, this problem occurs on feet and hands as itchy blisters.
- Neurodermatitis: It is more often referred to as lichen simplex chronicus. The condition is normally attributed to thick, scaly patches on the skin. It is mainly as a result of continuous scrabbling and rubbing of the skin.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: Unlike other conditions, Seborrheic dermatitis is usually caused by hormones, genes, and skin microorganism complications. The problem can be easily be traced to white/yellowish flaky and greasy patches on oil-producing glands.
- Stasis dermatitis: It is most common to older people. The condition is often as a result of poor circulation in the leg areas. This causes the veins in the region to swell and leak fluid and eventually causing swells, skin redness, and itchiness.
Depending on ones genetics, lifestyle, and environment, you develop one or more than one Eczema condition.