What Is Baby Eczema And What Causes It
Baby with eczema.
The onset of baby eczema typically occurs in early infancy, when the baby is about three or four months old. The actual patches of angry inflamed skin often show themselves after some scratching has already been carried out. It starts with an itch and irritation but then progresses into a full-blown rash because of the scratching. It is a vicious yet breakable cycle.
In our Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream review , we mentioned the genetic component involved in eczema. That same component applies here, too. A parent who suffers from eczema is more likely to produce progeny which is also sensitive to the condition. Very often, the disorder will affect the babys face, arms, and legs, although it can appear pretty much anywhere on the body.
Baby eczema is not cradle rash or diaper rash. Those are different conditions, which have their own separate catalysts but somewhat similar external symptoms. Those two are usually more common and less severe than baby eczema, and they can be cleared up with greater ease. Very often, those two types of rashes will go away on their own. By the time baby is about a year old, they will disappear and not make any kind of a comeback.
Baby eczema can be the result of several things:
Eczema can flare up due to extreme temperatures or changes in humidity, strong detergents and/or harsh soaps, clothing fabrics which cause irritation, and even psychological stress.
Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream For Dry Skin 73 Oz
|Item dimensions L x W x H
|19.8 x 5.3 x 4.8 centimeters
- 7.3 fluid ounce tube of baby eczema cream
- Recommended by dermatologists to help care for skin discomfort due to eczema
- Specially formulated for babies and gentle enough to use on babies with eczema
- Soothing colloidal oatmeal cream for eczema therapy suitable for babies
- Clinically shown to help relieve itching and minor skin irritation due to eczema
Recommended Reading: Vitamin E Oil For Eczema
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream 73 Oz
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream 7.3 oz
- Recommended by dermatologists and clinically shown to soothe skin with eczema
- Developed with leading dermatologists, this breakthrough cream helps relieve irritated skin, intensely moisturizes and helps prevent the recurrence of extra-dry skin.
- Its enriched with a ceramide, an essential lipid, naturally found within the skin that play a key role in enhancing and restoring the skins protective function.
- Clinically shown to help reduce the itching and irritation of eczema.
- Plus, it’s dermatologist tested, and gentle enough for babies and children.
- ACTIVE NATURALSCOLLOIDAL OATMEAL
- Locks in moisture and helps prevent dry skin.
- The AVEENO brand is most trusted for its use of natural ingredients.
- Oat is the natural ingredient most recommended by dermatologists.
- As a skin protectant active ingredient, oatmeal can help restore skin’s normal pH and aid in the maintenance of skin’s moisture barrier to help prevent and protect dry skin.
Active Ingredient :Colloidal oatmeal 1%
Inactive Ingredients:Water, glycerin, distearyldimonium chloride, panthenol, petrolatum, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone, avena sativa kernel oil, steareth-20, avena sativa kernel extract, benzalkonium chloride, ceramide np, sodium chloride.
- Apply as needed. For use on mild to moderate eczema or as directed by a physician. Store at room temperature.
Customer Questions and Answers:
- It is for eczema.
You May Like: How Do You Know If Your Child Has Eczema
Eczema Psoriasis Cream For Dry Itchy Cracked Irritated Skin
- MANUKA HONEY RELIEF â Made with pure, organic medical grade New Zealand Manuka Honey, which has unmatched healing properties and is incredibly nourishing for damaged, irritated, dry and cracked skin.
- ALL NATURAL, MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS- Manuka Relief has an all natural formula containing plant-based and nutrient rich ingredients which make it a safe and effective solution for all ages.
- ADVANCED RELIEF FORMULA- Manuka Honey, Colloidal Oatmeal, Arnica Montana Flower Extract along with other natural proven ingredients, helps provide LASTING relief and moisturization to damaged, unhappy skin.
- STOP ITCHING AND START RESTORING- Our cream does much more than just provide instant relief from unhappy skin, it actively works at healing with its organic ingredients for lasting relief and healthy skin.
- MADE IN USA, LIFETIME MONEYBACK GUARANTEE- Clearbody Organics is a proud USA company where quality comes first AND we offer a Lifetime Money Back Guarantee.
Also Check: Whatâs The Difference Between Hives And Eczema
How Is Eczema Treated
The treatment of eczema is similar in people of all races and ethnicities. Goals of treatment include relieving itch and hydrating to help restore the skin moisture barrier.
Gentle skin care and liberal use of moisturizers are considered first-line therapy for management of eczema. So even when you are not experiencing a flare, basic management including trigger avoidance and moisturization is essential.
Cleansers and Moisturizers
Moisturizers help replace lost moisture, help restore the skin moisture barrier, and help relieve flare-ups. It is important to continue a regular moisturizing routine even when you are not experiencing a flare. Mild cleansing wont strip the skin of essential moisture and can help prepare the skin for topical therapies.
Your doctor or healthcare provider may recommend topical anti-itch creams containing hydrocortisone to help ease your symptoms. Follow the directions on the label carefully. Do not use more often or longer than recommended on the label or by your healthcare provider.
Don’t Miss: Best Over The Counter Lotion For Eczema
Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Eczema Lotion
- Doesn’t absorb easily
- Not recommended for children under two years of age
If youre not wed to natural ingredients, and you want proven effective results fast, you might want to turn to a hydrocortisone eczema cream. This cream from Cortizone-10 features the powerful steroid to fight the most difficult eczema outbreaks. It also uses seven different moisturizers to help calm and heal affected skin.
According to WebMD, over the counter cortisone creams are often the first thing doctors recommend for patients suffering from eczema for its ability to quickly quash the itch with anti-inflammatory effects. But long term use of topical cortisone can cause skin thinning, bruising and more, so its worth doing some research before making your choice.
Soothing aloe, oats and shea butter deliver moisture to allow your skin to heal and repair.
- Expensive for a small container
- May irritate sensitive skin
- Can cause breakouts
Eczema can be tough to tackle, especially if youre looking for a vegan solution that can help heal and restore your itchy and irritated skin. This plant-based formula from THENA could be your answer. It helps to rejuvenate and restore stressed skin to a healthy, natural state using a proprietary mix of natural botanicals.
THENA also makes a mineral therapy bath treatment with Dead Sea salts specifically to target those who suffer from eczema and psoriasis, including babies.
- Can cause breakouts
- Somewhat oddly scented
Eczema And Pregnancy: Aveeno Eczema Therapy Review
My second pregnancy has wreaked havoc on my eczema. Thank you, pregnancy hormones! Usually, my eczema breakouts were very mild and were rather quickly healed up using a simple steroid cream. However, pregnancy turned my mild eczema into a permanent cycle of moderate to severe breakouts that lasted for months. Despite religiously using the steroid cream, it simply would not be contained.
After finally realizing that what I was doing to remedy the problem was not going to work, ever, I mentioned it to my OB/GYN. She confirmed that, indeed, pregnancy can definitely cause a change in eczema outbreaks. She assured me that using a steroid cream was safe to use in small amounts, but since that hadnt been working for me, she recommended trying Aveeno Eczema Therapy.
Aveeno Eczema Therapy is simply a moisturizing cream with no steroids, which is a little added safety when youre pregnant. It is accepted by the National Eczema Association and demotologist-recommended. Its natural active ingredient is Colloidal Oatmeal which apparently is great for dry and sensitive skin. So the question was, did it work?
I went out and bought the moisturizer immediately and started using it. I paid about $12 for the bottle. A little bit of moisturizer goes a long ways. My eczema is contained to my antecubital areas, and just a small pea-sized amount was more than enough to cover. The formula is very light and non-greasy.
How has pregnancy changed your eczema outbreaks?
You May Like: Should I Go To A Dermatologist For Eczema
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm 11 Oz
- September 1 2032 Expiration Date
The length of time for the expiration date or best used before date depends on the type of product, as well as the brand.
Perishable items generally have shorter expiration dates. Although our warehouse is fully air-conditioned, these more fragile items are put in cold storage for maximum freshness.
Our receiving department does its best to verify and then enter the correct expiration dates for all incoming products. However, discrepancies do occur from time to time. This being said, the exceptionally high turnover at iHerb ensures that our inventory is among the freshest in the industry.
- Date First Available: November 21 2016
- Shipping Weight:Switch to Imperial unitsShipping WeightThe Shipping Weight includes the product, protective packaging material and the actual shipping box. In addition, the Shipping Weight may be adjusted for the Dimensional Weight of a package. It is important to note that certain types of products will often require protective packaging material. As such, these products will reflect a higher Shipping Weight compared to the unprotected product.
- Product code: AVO-16934
Relieves dry, itchy skin due to eczema without leaving a greasy feeling behind.
- Temporary protects and helps relieve minor skin irritation and itching due to: Eczema, rashes.
How We Chose The Best Baby Eczema Creams
So, how do you know which creams are more likely to be effective? Youll want to look for one that doesnt irritate your babys skin.
Youll also want to make sure that it locks in moisture to help treat the current flare-up while providing a barrier to prevent future flare-ups.
When choosing our favorite baby eczema creams, we tried to find ones that had a higher chance of success by considering:
- whether its a cream, lotion, or ointment
- if its fragrance-free
- if its hypoallergenic
Creams tend to be thick and good for all-day use, but they can include allergenic preservatives or fragrances that can make eczema worse.
Ointments tend to be very greasy and are not appropriate for weeping eczema. However, they have a lesser chance of stinging or burning than creams and lotions and tend to be more moisturizing. They may be better tolerated by infants.
Lotions have fewer fats than creams, and theyre usually water-based. This makes them easier to rub into the body but less effective at moisturizing skin.
Just because a cream is organic or natural, it doesnt guarantee its hypoallergenic, so youll want to double-check for that distinction.
Also, we know that price can be a factor, so we made sure to keep that in mind.
Recommended Reading: Loma Lux Eczema Pill Reviews
Eczema Honey Oatmeal Hand Cream For Sensitive Skin
- ECZEMA, IRRITATION, AND ITCH RELIEF A 2020 Allure Best of Beauty Winner, Eczema Honeys best selling Oatmeal Hand Cream is therapeutic, soft, and gentle for daily use.
- NATURAL & EFFECTIVE INGREDIENTS Our Oatmeal Hand Cream contains Colloidal Oatmeal, the skin protectant for people with eczema.
- SAFE FOR ALL AGES AND SKIN TYPES Perfect for sensitive skin and all skin types, no matter what age.
- NO HARSH CHEMICALS Free of parabens, sulfates, phthalates, and fragrance.
- ACCEPTED BY THE NATIONAL ECZEMA ASSOCIATION AND DERMATOLOGIST TESTED Suitable for care of eczema or sensitive skin.
You May Like: Eczema Treatment For Babies Home Remedies
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Ingredients
- Colloidal Oatmeal: This is well-known as a skin protectant and it also has the ability to attract moisture to the skin, forming a protective barrier. Studies have shown that oatmeal is an effective remedy that helps maintain the skins moisture barrier while restoring healthy pH as well. Oat is one of the oldest home remedies for skin irritation issues.
- Ceramides: These components enhance and restore the protective function of the skin, a very effective way to prevent extra dry skin from recurring.
- Essential Lipids: They are vital to the skins healthy barrier function, helping retain moisture and keeping potential irritants and harmful substances out. The problem is that the lipids in this formula arent specified so theres no way to know if they are beneficial.
- Glycerin: May help skin retain moisture while reducing inflammation but also can cause skin irritation to sensitive skin.
- Petrolatum: It is effective in sealing skin with a water-protective barrier, but some studies indicate that it tends to clog pores. This is why most skin care companies no longer add it to their formulations.
You May Like: Why Does My Eczema Flare Up In The Summer
Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream is free from SkinCarisma flagged Paraben
Parabens are a large group of preservatives which are used to prevent bacteria growing in cosmetic formulations. There has been some healthy controversy surrounding them due to a few studies finding paraben presence in breast tumours and breast tissue. However, the majority of the scientific community have deemed these findings non-conclusive due to the limitations of these studies. There’s still a lot of support for avoiding parabens following the better safe than sorry route. If you do we completely support you! If you are concerned about the health safety of parabens, then feel free to avoid them by looking out for the Paraben-Free icon. If not, don’t worry about it – they do have had one of the longest safety records as preservatives!
Which Ingredients are classified as Paraben?
A product will be paraben-free if it does not contain any of the following parabens:
- Sodium Isobutylparaben
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream is free from SkinCarisma flagged Sulfates
Which ingredients are classified as sulfates?
We’ve taken the Sulfates which are considered more harsh for our Sulfate-Free status. A product will be Sulfate-Free if it does not contain any of the following Sulfates:
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream is free from SkinCarisma flagged Alcohols
Understanding Simple Alcohols
Puriya Mother Of All Creams
- Not recommended for use on kids under 5
- May sting or burn on sensitive skin
- Can’t be used around mouth and nose
This deeply moisturizing cream is another in the lineup of plant-based treatments for dry skin and eczema that relies on natural ingredients to heal and soothe inflamed and itchy skin. The lightweight, non-greasy formula spreads smoothly and almost instantly disappears into irritable skin, relieving the itch and soothing skin while it the powerful plant botanicals help heal.
With 13 skin superfoods, it also incorporates the natural humectant powers of Amaranth oil to hold moisture in your skin. A blend of essential oils, including Lavender, Peppermint, Chamomile and Tangerine pamper skin and add healing and anti-inflammatory agents, while aloe vera and MSM aid in healing and promote skin regeneration.
Also Check: How To Stop Severe Eczema Itching
Aveeno Eczema Therapy For Baby & Toddler
AVEENO® Eczema Therapy treatment for babies & toddlers is clinically shown to help relieve dry, itchy, irritated skin with eczema. The formulas, either with Oat or Colloidal Oatmeal, intensely moisturize and help strengthen the skins natural barrier function to protect against moisture loss and helps prevent recurrence of extra-dry skin.Its steroid free, fragrance free and allergy tested.
Aveeno Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash And Soothing Relief Moisture For Baby & Toddler
Aveeno® Cleansing Therapy Moisturizing Wash and Soothing Relief Moisture Cream for babies & toddlers is clinically shown to help relieve dry, itchy, irritated skin with eczema. The formulas, either with Oat or Colloidal Oatmeal, intensely moisturize and help strengthen the skins natural barrier function to protect against moisture loss and helps prevent recurrence of extra-dry skin.Its steroid free, fragrance free and allergy tested.
Don’t Miss: What To Do When Eczema Flares Up
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Daily Moisturizing Creamingredients Explained
This product contains 14 ingredients. Click on any ingredient to learn more about it
Also known as:
An organic, colorless, odorless, and non-toxic compound that has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It acts a humectant in skincare products, meaning it helps skin retain moisture by pulling moisture from the air.
Panthenol is a common ingredient that helps hydrate and soothe the skin.
Panthenol is a humectant, meaning that it helps the skin attract and retain moisture. It’s also known to have anti-inflammatory abilities. This means that it’s great for sensitive, irritation-prone skin.
We don’t have a description for Distearyldimonium Chloride.
Isopropyl Palmitate is a fragrance and isn’t fungal acne safe. It can be bad for acne prone skin.
We don’t have a description for Steareth-20.
Also known as:
Ceramide NP is one type of ceramide.
Ceramides are intercellular lipids naturally found in our skin that bonds dead skin cells together to create a barrier. They are known for their ability to hold water and thus are a great ingredient for dry skin.
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Cream Manufacturer Details:
As mentioned on its website Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream is manufactured by Aveeno, a company known for well-formulated baby care items, healing ointments, bath and wash, cleansers, and sunscreens.
Since 1945 it has boasted of using natural ingredients and being a pioneer in the field in using oatmeal in its formulations. The brand was purchased by Johnson & Johnson in 1999, expanding it to the empire it is today.
They now produce bath essentials to body lotions, body washes, shaving gels, and bar cleansers. Aveenos cornerstone ingredient is soy, which is said to deliver multiple beneficial effects on the skin.
However, the brand fails to research more on other natural ingredients, antioxidants, and skin-identical ingredients.
Also Check: Eczema On Back Of Thighs