What Triggers Eczema In Babies
Eczema has a range of causes. In about 30% of babies, eczema is caused by food allergy . Youll note that flare-ups caused by food allergies occur within a couple of hours of eating.
Aside from food allergies, discovering the cause is not as imperative as avoiding triggers. When you avoid these, eczema is much easier to manage. Eczema triggers include soaps, pollen, animals, wood, herpes virus, and dry air .
Aveeno 1% Maximum Strength Hydrocortisone Anti
This maximum-strength anti-itch cream formula with skin-soothing Active Naturals Triple Oat Complex, aloe, and vitamin E, provides temporary relief from the itching associated with minor skin irritations, inflammation, rashes, eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis, insect bites, poison ivy/oak/sumac, soaps, detergents, cosmetics, or jewelry.
Ways To Relieve Itchy Eczema At Home
Apply a cool compress to itchy skin. To use this technique, you:
Telling your child to stop scratching itchy skin rarely works.
Eczema is just too itchy, and telling your child to stop scratching can feel stressful. Stress often makes eczema worse.
Add colloidal oatmeal to your childs bath. Youll find colloidal oatmeal at many places that sell health and beauty products. When you add this to your childs bath, it helps relieve the dry, itchy skin.
When using colloidal oatmeal, dermatologists recommend:
Dont let your child eat the finely ground oatmeal.
Colloidal oatmeal makes the bath very slippery, so take care to prevent a slip or fall.
Soak in a bath and smear on ointment. After letting your child soak in a lukewarm bath, smear a thick layer of moisturizing ointment on all of your childs skin. When the skin is very itchy, using an eczema friendly ointment like petroleum jelly provides more relief than a cream or lotion.
Don’t Miss: How To Rid Of Eczema On Face
Epaderm Ointment 1165 For 500g
Developed by doctors at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, specifically for eczema sufferers. Epaderm is an emulsifying wax and yellow soft paraffin combination which is prescribed by the NHS as an effective treatment against eczema.
The cream is greasy in texture and can sit on the skin but when this occurs, you should let the cream absorb in gradually rather than wiping away the excess.
This was a quality one reviewer on Amazon noted It is an oily and a bit heavy cream which does not penetrate the skin immediately, but if you apply it before bedtime you will wake up with a baby soft skin.
Another Amazon reviewer also said, the cold weather has made my daughters dry skin/eczema awful to deal with, but Epaderm kept the skin moisturised and helped to relieve the symptoms of dryness.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
How To Make Homemade Anti
1. Infuse Almond Oil With Dried Calendula
For cold infusions: Add oil and dried calendula to a jar and allow to infuse for at least 6 weeks.
For heat infusions: There are a few ways to do this. You can add the oil and calendula to a crockpot, a pot on the stove, or in a double boiler. Heat the oil and flowers and simmer for about an hour.
2. Add Beeswax, Infused Almond Oil, and Shea Butter To A Double Boiler
Once you have your infused oil ready, add it to a double boiler, along with the beeswax and shea butter.
3. Heat Until Mixture Is A Liquid
Heat the ingredients slowly until everything is melted.
4. Allow To Cool
Once melted, take the mixture off of the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. You dont want it to set, but you dont want it to be piping hot either.
5. Add Arrowroot Powder and Bentonite Clay, And Mix
Stir in the arrowroot powder and bentonite clay, and mix thoroughly. a
6. Add Essential Oils of Your Choice
Add about 10-20 drops of the essential oils of your choice. Patchouli, peppermint, and lavender are my favorites!
7. Mix and Pour In Jars
Give it one last good mix, and pour into jars.
And youre done! Store these in a dark, cool place with the lid tightly screwed on, and they should last 6-8 months.
As always, speak with a medical professional before trying a new cream or home remedy, especially on inflamed skin.
If you liked this post, dont forget to pin it for later:
Sharing is caring!
Read Also: Eczema En Español Como Se Dice
Over The Counter Vs Prescription
Dont use a sledgehammer to crack a nut! As painful and raw as baby eczema looks, dont rush your baby into the pediatrician as a first step. Instead, dermatologists recommend starting with over-the-counter products.
When To See The Doctor For Baby Eczema
If your baby has blisters or yellow crust over eczema-affected areas, its time to see the doc . If its red and dry but you see no signs of infection, start with over-the-counter picks.
Vata Organic Baby Skincare
VATÉA is made with the knowledge of science and the kindness of nature. This award-winning Australian Certified Organic Gentle Baby Balm is enriched with beeswax, coconut oil, and the healing oils of tamanu and moringa to support baby eczema and provide a gentle soother for mum and bubs irritated skin. With added chamomile, Gentle Baby Balm smells like a hot cup of honey tea and can be used anywhere where healing is required.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Extreme Eczema
Green People Organic Babies Soothing Baby Salve 970 For 100ml
Made without parabens, artificial perfumes, petrochemicals or colourants, this cream is perfect for babies with sensitive skin.
One reviewer on Amazon said the balm works well for daughters eczema while others praised the balms effectiveness for other dry skin complaints babies can suffer with, such as cradle cap. One buyer also described it as, gentle on babys skin and praised the addition of lavender for helping to sooth them to sleep.
Ideal for all kinds of delicate skin types, the Organic Babies soothing baby salve can also double up as a nappy rash cream and even a nipple cream.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
Additional Tips For Coping With Eczema
Pamper your skin. Eczema can be managed through maintaining good skin care habits while avoiding things that can trigger flare-ups.
Try not to scratch. Easier said than done, but repeated scratching on dark skin can lead to skin thickening and pigmentation changes.
Use sunscreen. Everyone should protect their skin from the sun every day, all year round. If your eczema has caused discolorations, going out in the sun can worsen it. Many people with eczema find mineral-based sunscreens containing titanium dioxide are gentle to the skin.
Don’t Miss: A& d Ointment For Eczema
How Is Eczema Diagnosed
There is no specific test used to diagnose eczema. The doctor will look at the rash and ask about symptoms, the child’s past health, and the family’s health. If family members have any atopic conditions, that’s an important clue.
The doctor will rule out other conditions that can cause skin inflammation, and might recommend that your child see a dermatologist or an allergist.
The doctor may ask you to ban some foods from your child’s diet, switch detergents or soaps, or make other changes for a time to see if your child is reacting to something.
Cerave Moisturizing Lotion For Itch Relief
- CERAVE ANTI ITCH LOTION ] Temporarily relieves itching associated with insect bites, sunburn, poison ivy while moisturizing dry skin.
- CLINICALLY TESTED ] Provides relief within two minutes and lasts up to 8 hours.
- SOOTHING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with 1% Pramoxine Hydrochloride for fast-acting, long-lasting temporary itch-relief, Niacinamide to help calm skin, and Hyaluronic Acid to help retain skins natural moisture.
- ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier.
- GENTLE ON SKIN ] Suitable for use on face, body, and hands to temporarily relieve itching.
Also Check: At What Age Can You Get Eczema
Oilatum Bath Formula 950 For 300ml
This bath treatment from Oilatum is an emollient which, according to the NHS, means it works to protect skin by creating a film over the skin to help trap in moisture.
For this reason, there are various artificial ingredients and chemicals within the product and, while all safe for use, may not be one for parents who are sticklers for the all-natural approach. This protective layer can also make kids a little more slippery in the bath, so take extra caution.
The formula seems to be a hit with families who have used it before, including a reviewer on the Boots website who said using the product had helped soften and control the eczema on my sons skin.
Weleda White Mallow Body Lotion 1195 For 200ml
From a well-known name in the baby skin care industry, the Weleda white mallow has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance, as its fragrance-free, moisturizes sensitive skin and relieves itching caused by dryness.
Its made with 95% organic ingredients, like white mallow, coconut oil, sesame seed oil, sunflower seed oil and sweet almond oil. The natural ingredients shouldnt irritate very dry and sensitive skin in the same way that artificial chemicals can.
Parents who bought the cream from Amazon for their children praised the speedy effectiveness of the product. One reviewer using this on their 5-month-old daughters eczema said that, her skin got so much better and nearly clear of eczema after 5 days of use!
Another parent also reviewing on Amazon added that the, cooling effect is really good for calming down the skin when it gets red and hot and said the cream ticks both boxes of being moisturising and soothing.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
Also Check: What Percent Of The Population Has Eczema
Emotional And Social Support
Sleepless nights and self-consciousness about visible symptoms can be tough on anyones emotional state. And as if that wasnt enough, stress can make eczema symptoms worse. Make sure your child knows that a lot of people have eczema theyre not abnormal or at fault for having it, and it cant be passed to anyone else.
Try to introduce them to other children with the condition so they know theyre not alone. Dont hesitate to consider counseling if the challenges of eczema are getting them down.
How Can Parents Help
Help prevent or treat eczema by keeping your child’s skin from getting dry or itchy and avoiding triggers that cause flare-ups. Try these suggestions:
- Kids should take short baths or showers in warm water. Use mild unscented soaps or non-soap cleansers and pat the skin dry before putting on cream or ointment. Teens should use unscented makeup and oil-free facial moisturizers.
- Ask your doctor if it’s OK to use oatmeal soaking products in the bath to help control itching.
- Kids should wear soft clothes that “breathe,” such as those made from cotton. Wool or polyester may be too harsh or irritating.
- Keep your child’s fingernails short to prevent skin damage from scratching. Try having your child wear comfortable, light gloves to bed if scratching at night is a problem.
- Kids should avoid becoming overheated, which can lead to flare-ups.
- Kids should drink plenty of water, which adds moisture to the skin.
- Get rid of known allergens in your household and help your child avoid others, like pollen, mold, and tobacco smoke.
- Stress can make eczema worse. Help your child find ways to deal with stress .
Read Also: Can You Have Eczema In Your Ears
Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion 769 For 300ml
Aveeno lotion has the naturally active colloidal oatmeal formula and can be applied to skin when dry, making it ideal for use after bathing, although it can be used as often as required.
Suitable for babies from 3 months old, its fragrance free, non-greasy and easily absorbed. Aveeno also gets the seal of approval from the National Eczema Association and people who have used the oat-based cream on eczema conditions themselves also seem to approve.
My little boy is 10 months and has suffered with eczema since he was around 6 months, touch wood, since using Aveeno his eczema has gone! said one parent, while MFM Facebook group member Emma described Aveeno as a go to product for her child who suffers from eczema.
Latest deals from trusted retailers
The Best Eczema Treatments For Children And Babies For 2021 Are:
- Best overall Aveeno dermexa emollient cream, 200ml: £8.50, Boots.com
- Best for a soothing soak Westlab soothing bath salts, 1kg: £3.34, Lookfantastic.com
- Best natural formula Weleda baby derma white mallow body lotion, 200ml: £13.50 Hollandandbarret.com
- Best family-friendly serum SOS Serum, 15ml: £5.00, Sosserum.co.uk
- Best hand cleansing gel Little B alcohol-free hand cleansing gel, 100ml: £6.40, Bramleyproducts.co.uk
- Best wipes Mustela stelatopia replenishing cleansing wipes, pack of 25: £3.32, Escentual.com
- Best for showers and baths Avene xeracalm oil, 400ml: £12.37, Boots.com
- Best for sensitive scalps Childs Farm sensitive scalp shampoo, 250ml: £10.00,
- Best for daily use Green People organic babies baby wash and shampoo, 150ml: £9.00, Greenpeople.co.uk
- Best for improving skin barrier Salcura Bioskin junior outbreak rescue cream, 150ml: £19.99, Salcuraskincare.com
- Best for controlling itching Dermalex eczema treatment, 30g: £9.59, Lloydspharmacy.com
- Best moisturiser The Organic Pharmacy ultra dry skin cream, 100ml: £45.00, Theorganicpharmacy.com
- Best texture Dove derma care moisturising wash, 400ml: £6.99, Boots.com
Read Also: Acne & Eczema Whipped Shea Butter
Gold Bond Lidocaine Multi
- PAIN & ITCH RELIEF CREAM WITH LIDOCAINE: Our Pain & Itch Relief Cream soothes the pain of insect bites, minor burns & scrapes with the maximum strength Lidocaine you can get without a prescription.
- ALL-PURPOSE RELIEF: This easy-to-apply cream is effective for temporary relief of pain & itch associated with: minor burns, sunburn, minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites & minor skin irritations.
- MEDICATED HEALING: We offer a variety of highly effective personal skin care & pain relief products including body powders & lotions, foot sprays, powders & creams, & anti-itch treatments.
- HEALING SINCE 1908: For over a century Gold Bond products have provided soothing relief to the whole family, from babys first bath & powder, to eczema or psoriasis relief, to lotion for dry skin.
- GOLD BOND QUALITY: In addition to our top-selling medicated body powder, foot powder & foot cream, Gold Bond offers skin care products to moisturize, soften & protect your hands, feet, face & body.
Puriya Intensive Moisturizing Cream
This cream is meant to alleviate occasional skin discomfort and itching caused by dryness from the elements with a highly moisturizing cream developed for sensitive skin. Use this lotion on dry, cracked skin with 13 nourishing ingredients, including honey, shea butter, aloe vera, amaranth and jojoba oil.
Read Also: Homemade Face Wash For Eczema
Eczema Psoriasis Cream For Dry Itchy Cracked Irritated Skin
- MANUKA HONEY RELIEF ????- Made with pure, organic medical grade New Zealand Manuka Honey, which has unmatched healing properties and is incredibly nourishing for damaged, irritated, dry and cracked skin.
- ALL NATURAL, MADE WITH ORGANIC INGREDIENTS- Manuka Relief has an all natural formula containing plant-based and nutrient rich ingredients which make it a safe and effective solution for all ages.
- ADVANCED RELIEF FORMULA- Manuka Honey, Colloidal Oatmeal, Arnica Montana Flower Extract along with other natural proven ingredients, helps provide LASTING relief and moisturization to damaged, unhappy skin.
- STOP ITCHING AND START RESTORING- Our cream does much more than just provide instant relief from unhappy skin, it actively works at healing with its organic ingredients for lasting relief and healthy skin.
- MADE IN USA, LIFETIME MONEYBACK GUARANTEE- Clearbody Organics is a proud USA company where quality comes first AND we offer a Lifetime Money Back Guarantee.
Amazon Basic Care Maximum Strength Anti
- ACTIVE INGREDIENT: The active ingredient in this anti-itch cream is hydrocortisone 1 percent compare to the active ingredient in Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Formula.
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH RELIEF: Hydrocortisone is the number one doctor recommended anti-Itch active Ingredient (of U.
- POWERFUL MEDICINE, FAST RELIEF: Great for relieving itching associated with skin irritation, rashes, inflammation, redness, insect bites, eczema, psoriasis and poison ivy, oak and sumac.
- LASTS UP TO 10 HOURS when used as directed ultra creamy, maximum strength hydrocortisone formula helps heal problem skin safe for sensitive skin for adults and children age 2 years of age and older.
- INTENSIVE HEALING FORMULA calms, nourishes and hydrates clinically proven to moisturize for up to 24 hours features antioxidants, chamomile and Vitamins A, C and E.
Also Check: Types Of Eczema On Fingers
What Are The Symptoms Of Baby Eczema
The characteristic symptom of atopic eczema is dry, itchy skin that may also be scaly, red, inflamed and sore. It may also crack and bleed.
Eczema can develop anywhere on the body, but in young children it is commonly found on the face, head and scalp, and in the creases around the neck, behind the knees and inside the elbows. You might see small red patches that look dry and scaly, or notice that your child is scratching the same areas repeatedly.
A risk of eczema is that the skin becomes infected. This can happen if the skin cracks open due to dryness, or if it breaks after being scratched. If you notice the following symptoms, its a sign that your childs eczema has become infected:
- Fluid oozing from the skin
- Yellow crust or yellow-white spots on the skin
- Inflamed, painful skin
- High temperature and generally feeling unwell
You should take your child to see a doctor as soon as possible if you suspect that they have a skin infection.
Its recommended that you keep your childs fingernails cut short to minimise damage from scratching and reduce the risk of infection. Your child could also wear cotton gloves or socks at night time.